Life with Angora Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumpingBerry

Reaction score
It's been quite some time since I posted anything about my bunnies, and a lot has changed in the past year, so thought I would share my current bunny crew. All of my bunnies have come from postings on Craigslist.

I love longhair animals, whether it be dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, or even hamsters or mice. I just love the look and feel of long hair animals.

Buttercup was my first fuzzy lop, and she is not only a fuzzy lop, she is a lionhead lop. I got her when she was about 3 months old from an ad on Craigslist. The lady was rehoming her due to she didn't get along with other female rabbits she had (that lady said she had purchased her from a pet store). I've now had her 2 years. Since then, I rescued a few fuzzy lops last year that were quite matted, had them shaved, litter trained them, and then managed to let them go to new homes who understood that these bunnies need some combing to remain mat free. But I have a soft spot for longhair rabbits and when I see one advertised, I usually go check him/her out.

Teddy was my first angora I got. He was about 4 months old, and the breeder/owner was rehoming him and 3 others due to his daughter wasn't giving them enough care. But, being raised with a child, he came pre-spoiled and very tame. He had a few mats to be cut out. Now, he's about a year old and I just love this boy. He is my one and only French Angora right now. He is small for a French Angora ... guessing he may be around 6 pounds if that.

I "rescued" an English Angora next. His name was Charlie. He was small for an English Angora, only weighing maybe 5 pounds. I was told he was about 4 - 5 years old, but my vet felt he was older. He had quite a few mats I had to cut out, was treated for mites, and had callouses on his back feet due to poor posture. Sadly, he passed away recently ... found him lying in his cage, weak. I picked him up, and he had a couple of seizures then died in my arms. Charlie was a sweet sweet boy and will be missed.

Next came Pearl, along with another English Angora I have since rehomed. Pearl came from a breeder who had just apparently decided not to breed English Angoras. The breeder scruffed her and the other rabbit to pick them up, and for partly that reason, I think she was a bit skittish about handling. She has calmed down, but is still shy and on the skittish side. She is my one and only "pedigreed" rabbit. Her pedigree lists her as a lilac pearl, but I think she may be more likely a blue or lilac chinchilla as her coloring doesn't really match a lilac pearl, plus her pedigree would suggest this may be a better fit. Pearl turned a year old on March 13.

Creampuff was a recent addition. While she came from a breeder, she got her from someone that was rehoming her. That former owner said she was a lionhead, but she clearly has some angora in her. The lady I got her from said she was matted and had to be shaved. I still had to cut a few small mats off of her when I got her. Whether she is a "pure" English Angora I do not know ... I suspect she is part lionhead. She is small, maybe around 4 pounds or so. She is a bit shy but super sweet girl. I was told she is about a year old.

Kirby is my latest "find." The picture on the posting seemed to indicate he may be more of a French Angora, but had some English in him as well. Well, I found a big English Angora with a thick coat. He had obviously been trimmed. Once again, the breeder who had him said the fur was too much for her. He is said to be about a year old. He seems to be a sweet boy with a higher than expected energy level. He runs around his cage quite frequently.

Furwise, the English Angoras definitely take more brushing and combing. I may have to settle with cutting back their fur at times. On the other hand, for whatever reason, when the fur is shorter it seems to tangle more easily.I have never trimmed Teddy, my French Angora, and his fur is much easier to take care of. Buttercup only needs occasional brushing.

bunnies052717.jpg

Charlie.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back