How to get rabbit to play with toys???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinai

Reaction score
Ok here's my question. AJ to my knowledge has never had toys how do I get him to play with them. He likes short tunnels but that's about it. I got him a straw type Apple looking thing that he won't touch. No toilet paper tubes. Haven't tried much else. Any ideas??

What type of toys CAN I give him?

Are cat jingle balls ok? Of course ALL play is supervised

Stevesmum.

AJ doesn't even chew the sticks lol. I forgot he WILL go for pellets in a toilet paper tube. Kind of like a smart toy for buns. You cut the ends of the tube so there are 4 tabs that you can fold together like you would do the end of a box on both sides of the tube. Put holes or a hole for pellets to come out on the side and of course put pellets in and close up the end. Then let bunny at it. Will show you one tomorrow as I am going to sleep

Some rabbits aren't interested in playing. And they all like different things. Cisal mats always worked for me (rabbits all like to scratch and destroy things). I had a rabbit who really liked plastic bunches of keys (like the things you give babies who are teething) which he threw and shook. Aki likes puzzles with food, the ones made for dogs, but she's uncommonly bright - the rabbits she lived with always just waited until she solved it to try and steal the food ^^'. All the rabbits I've had quite liked the plastic ball - treat dispenser that are generally made for cats. Tybalt really like apple tree branches - he will strip all the bark and eat everything except for the core of the biggest branch. But he is the first rabbit I've had who is interested in this - weirdly enough, Aki never glanced at the branches and sticks I gave her before Tybalt came along, but now she participates too even if she's not as enthusiastic as he is...

In my experience, cat jingle ball toys are ok. But try to get something that feels pretty sturdy and it if can be picked up it may be better. I've found a cat/bird toy that most of my rabbits have at least played with a bit ... it is not a ball, but like a cylinder shaped with bars running the length around. It also has a bell inside. They like to pick it up, carry it, and throw it around. I had a lionhead lop that would grab that toy and run around with it when he was excited. Some of my rabbits have liked the kabob type toys with wood on them to chew. Many of mine like the apple sticks, also willow balls.

As others have said, rabbits are all different. Some like to throw things around, destroy things, etc. Others won't touch much of anything.

Here are some of the toys and chews I have purchased for my rabbits. I think Buttercup will devour or chew on anything. The others, haven't tried much yet. I just put a half of a willow stick in with Creampuff, and she started chewing on it right away.

The willow sticks I tend to take out of the bundle, cut in half, and give one of the resulting sticks to a rabbit. The jingle toy circled in green is what I was talking about in my previous reply. I find these usually in a package of 4 with the other jingle ball circled (which usually is ignored).

Also for those rabbits who like to chew things up, a crumpled up piece of paper or paper towel may be torn apart. I had part of a paper towel roll on top of Buttercup's cage, and one day she found it ... and the paper towel was torn apart and in her cage. I've given paper towel and toilet paper rolls to them, although I read recently the glue on them may not be too good for them. But they are usually a recommended (and used) item for so many pet owners for so many years, they probably are still ok.

Edit: in picture, purchaed should be purchased ... just saw that.

bunnytoys.jpg

Latest posts

Back