Preparing cage for incoming babies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnionKnight

Reaction score
Hello, everybody!!!

My situation is the following: a little less than a month ago, one of my female bunnies escaped her cage while my male bunny was around (all my bunnies are not neutered because there's not vet here that can perform that kind of procedure). So, you can imagine what could have happened between the two bunnies, right? So, I'm trying to prepare everything for the (possible) incoming babies. I already have a large cage in which the female bunny and the babies can be confortable. The problem is that the cage MUST be kept outside because its size. For older rabbits there's not much problem because it's not too cold; it's around 9º C, which are 49º F I think. What's more, I cover the cages with blankets and other things to prevent cold wind from entering their homes. However, I don't know how much of a problem the low temperature would be for the babies. So for this, I thought of putting a hot water bag in the nest of the babies, so to keep them warm in addition to covering the cage with blankets, etc.

Is it a good idea? Can you give me any other recommentations?

Thanks for reading!!!

tl;dr: Babies are (possibly) coming. Should I put a hot water bag in their nest to prevent them from chilling?

NO. No water bottle. if mom builds a proper nest the babies will be fine. it ALL hinges on the doe. If she builds a good nest, she'll probably care for them well. If she builds a horrid nest, chances are she'll not care for them well. Chances are high that they will be just fine.

Give her a nestbox 2-3 days before they're due, along with plenty of hay for her to use as nesting material. Hopefully she'll build a good nest in the box and line it with her hair. That will keep them warm.

NO. No water bottle. if mom builds a proper nest the babies will be fine. it ALL hinges on the doe. If she builds a good nest, she'll probably care for them well. If she builds a horrid nest, chances are she'll not care for them well. Chances are high that they will be just fine.

Give her a nestbox 2-3 days before they're due, along with plenty of hay for her to use as nesting material. Hopefully she'll build a good nest in the box and line it with her hair. That will keep them warm.

Is that so :ponder:? I'm really afraid the babies will get cold and...die...How is it too cold for baby bunnies even if they have a proper nest?

I don't really want to take any chances. I want to be prepared for everything...

Thank you very much for your answers!!!

I don't live up north but I know of plenty of breeders whose kits did fine in freezing weather but it all hinges on a good nest. We've had no problem with newborns staying warm into the 30's F. Mom's fur is a great insulator.

Have been having does raise kits since January. Only one loss due to cold and that one jumped out of the nest box during the night. When i found it i turned the nest box on its side. Did not lose another one. On a side note. Have had Cotton Tail Kits running all over the neighborhood for the last month and a half.

Latest posts

Back