Growing Snacks for Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belle

Reaction score
I am new at having a bunny companion and have been learning all sorts of wonderful tips on care and nutrion for my lil guy. I have read that they enjoy herbs such as basil, parsley and a few others as well as other grasses and flowering plants. I live in an apartment and have an organic potted garden on my balcony which includes some basil and parsley. The other day, Mr. Champagne Bubbles was enjoying some training time in the garden and found the basil and parsley and began enjoying his new found snacks. I let him snack only for a little while before distracting him with his hay, as he is just a baby and I want to introduce these things to him slowly, but I would like to grow more snacks for him. I am interested in growing some clovers and dandelions, but have seen so many different varieties, I'm not sure which one would be best, or if there is one that would be harmful. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or recomendations of what else I can grow for him to snack on? Or flowers and plants to avoid? currently my garden has hibiscus, roses, fushias, gerber daisies, african daisies and hydrangea along with the basil and parsley. I have kept him away from the plants except the herbs because I'm just not sure if they are ok for him to snack on. As I mentioned before, I'm new at having a bunny companion, and I just want the very best for him, so any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

I'm not sure what kind of dandelions to plant,we just pick the weeds off our lawn and give them to the rabbits. I do know that clover should not be over fed as it can cause some tummy issues. Me, I'm going to grow parsley, cilantro, mint, basil, thyme, lettuce, kale and chard. Oh and celeriac. That's a new one we're going to try.

Mint grows REALLY good around here! so do collards (but be careful not to give to much of collards due to something about them being too gassy, i think?)
my bunny loves long fresh grass (basically undried hay lol) also dandelion, apple leaves, celery, romaine lettuce, carrots (tops). i find that a lot of the fruits and vegetables we grow taste A LOT better then what is sold in store (especially the carrots!!!! i eat the carrot and my bun gets the top! lol)

Don't let him near your other plants, they are not safe. The only clover you can give is white clover, it's not very good for digestion so you shouldn't give a lot of it (it can cause bloating). To my knowledge, there is only one variety of dandelion but it's not easy to find as a potted plant. I second the mint recommendation (all varieties are fine). Most herbs are fine, except sorrel or chives. You can find seeds in petshops (or on Internet, for example on amazon) to grow safe plants for rabbits. They are pretty overpriced considering you can find a lot of those for free in the country side, but it's sometimes the easiest solution. I did it for my tortoises.
If you don't have it, here's a list of plants. I have a better one with pictures but unfortunately, it's in French... http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables/

I am also growing an herb garden for AJ my bun. If you want to know if it's good try for you to grow and not a plant you'll "waste space" with (apartment growing with limited space stinks) try your bun on the herb if you can a couple of times and see how they like it. If they eat it more than a couple times with enthusiasm then it'll be a good one to plant if not then don't plant it. I have 2 plants in my garden that AJ won't eat and a 3rd he'll consider but saves for last.

He LOVES basil but won't touch mint. Likes sweet marjoram enough to eat it but isn't crazy about it. Oregano he's still deciding on but that's toward the no side but AJ absolutely adores Dill.

Try the dill with your guy.

Latest posts

Back