Pooping all over a certain area

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpk

Reaction score
Hello,
My rabbit is a 5 year old netherland dwarf and I've had him since he was a month old. He is neutered and litter trained yet he has always left some poop outside of his box. It wasn't too bad until we moved about a month ago. He has been leaving a large amounts of poop outside of his box. No pee. I was afraid it was a health problem but it seems more like a behavior problem since he only poops in a rectangle area in front of his cage, litter box, and food and water bowl. He also poops a pile while he's eating sometimes too, but I can't put his food and water bowl into his litter box. I don't believe that he's marking his territory either since he does this throughout the day, and its only in this single area.

http://imgur.com/YDBFfMR (sorry the embedding isn't working for some reason)

Does anyone know why he is doing this? Thank you!

I'm not seeing a rectangular area. I'm just seeing scattered poos outside his box in a rather wide area. They appear to me to be the type of spread one would see when a bunny is establishing territory in a new area.

I don't see any hay anywhere. Perhaps you could put hay in the litter box on top of those shavings. Maybe that would encourage better potty habits.

Honestly the poop isnt the biggest deal for me my rabbit poops in her literbox but leans her but outside of the cage to pee, the pee stains my floors so we moved her outside and her pee still leaves marks on the stone porch.

Yes, stone will also absorb and stain.

Rather than putting her outside, you could just get a litter box (any plastic tub) with higher sides. Some have even cut out an opening in a high-sided tub to allow bunny easy access and still keep bunny's rear inside the box.

I'm not seeing a rectangular area. I'm just seeing scattered poos outside his box in a rather wide area. They appear to me to be the type of spread one would see when a bunny is establishing territory in a new area.

I don't see any hay anywhere. Perhaps you could put hay in the litter box on top of those shavings. Maybe that would encourage better potty habits.

Its in a relatively rectangular area, as in he doesn't poop outside of the area in front of his cage. And he's been there for over a month so shouldn't that be long enough for territorial droppings? He poops nowhere else in the house, and we have a lot of area for him to roam in. And yes, I fill hay on top of his litter, but he still poops outside.. :(

Honestly the poop isnt the biggest deal for me my rabbit poops in her literbox but leans her but outside of the cage to pee, the pee stains my floors so we moved her outside and her pee still leaves marks on the stone porch.

That's so true. I'm glad he doesn't pee outside. Sounds like you need a bigger litter box though so her whole body can have more room inside?

Latest posts

Back