Sick Harvey

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning woke up to a sick bun. Won't eat or drink, and she was hiding. Got her to the vet and they ran every test they could think of but can't see anything wrong. She's back home now, where I am struggling to get her to eat Critical Care. Please send Harvs your prayers and luck.

Don't give up on her... they ruled out a blockage right? Get simethicone for infants and give 1 ML each hour up to 3 times. Try some gentle tummy massage. If her ears are cold warm her up with a warm water bottle. Syringe some water into her along with the critical care. Offer favourite greens and bits of hay often. Hand feed them. Did they give you anything for pain? It's tough going but she needs you to be there for her and nurse her back to health. Good luck!

Oh no I'm so so sorry hun, i hope Harvey gets well soon, my prayers are with you both <3 Keep trying, give her lots and lots of love and head scratches, and perhaps a tiny nibble of something she really loves to try and encourage her to eat <3

Harvs is still hanging in there. A big thank you to everyone for your support. She's a great big butt head when it comes to being force fed so TG she is eating on her own. She isn't back to her usual amount but at least she is making an effort. She's such a sweet heart usually
but she hates being forced or pinned down. She even boxed the vet!! I never knew Harvs had an aggressive bone in her body. The vet was not amused but I couldn't help being proud of my little bun who would rather go down swinging rather than roll over and be man handled!

You guys have been great. Thank you so much for the support. She still isn't eating as much as she used to and her whole schedule seems messed up, but SHE IS Eating!!!!! Not too much at one time, but it's steady. I haven't seen her drink but the litter box looks good: plenty of pee and poop. I really think she might be ok!!! All the tests looked normal. Waiting for the fecal folloculation test results but everything else was normal. The only thing they didn't do, was x Ray her whole body. She was way too big to fit into their x Ray machine, so they x rayed her belly only. I wish I would have asked for a head x Ray to check her teeth roots. But her incisors looked good and her blood chemistry looked good. Everything was/ is normal. My boyfriend thinks I over reacted to her not eating that day. I don't know. But I'm glad she is coming around and am glad for all you bunny lovers out there who have been so supportive. Thank you! Am going to pick up some of that infant gas formula to have on hand. That was a good idea. Thank you!!

How long before she is back to eating normally? It's disturbing and worrisome to watch her pass on her fav foods. Last night she ate only 4 stalks of parsley and today only half a portion of wheat grass. When healthy she ate 2/3 cup of pellets a day. Today she isn't half way through 1/3 cup. It's scary to see her eat so little. She's warm and alert and reasonably playful so I am trying not to worry too much. But still.... so scary, you guys.

It depends on the original cause of the issue. Generally it takes until the issue is resolved +/-3 days (in my experience). Does she eat any critical care on her own? My two LOVE the apple banana flavor (we sometimes give it as a treat so they don't associate it only with being force fed). Could you try leaving some of that in with her to see if she will eat it?

You guys... I really can't believe. Harvey's litter box was full this morning and today she was back on her old schedule. I really think she turned the corner on this close call. I can't believe it!!!! Thank you all so much for your help and support. Dragon, That's a great idea to feed Critical Care sometimes as a treat so they don't associate it with being force fed. I'm going to try that. Thank you!

Glad to know she's better. Still, your boyfriend is wrong, you can't 'overreact' to a bunny not eating, it IS life-threatening - if you do nothing when a bunny stops eating, they can die in 2-3 days and even if you wait 24h to take them to the vet, it's often hard to cure them. So it was good you reacted quickly. ^^

Latest posts

Back