Can I Dilute Ivermectin for Mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astroaurora

Reaction score
Hello, I have a couple of rabbits I've only had for a month and a half. My female has a couple of bald spot near her hips. The bald spots are white and flaky with scabs in the center. I didn't know what was going on at first but in reading about it it appears she has mites. I have gone to the vet and picked up some ivermectin injectable in syringes. My female only weighs 1 lb. 8 oz. and my male only weighs 2 lbs. 6 oz. The syringes that the vet gave me have 1/10 (0.10) of a milliliter of medicine in them. If the proper dosage is 0.018 ml per lb, then I calculate that my female will need about 0.027 mL and my male will need 0.045 mL. According to these calculations the 0.10 mL that are in my syringes will be 4 times as much as my female needs and 2 times as much as my male needs. I want to know if there's a way that I can dilute the ivermectin so that I can split up the doses and give them the amount that they need. I also suspect that it is possible that my female could be pregnant and I have concerns with giving her too much. Thank you for any and all advice.

ALSO! I'm pretty sure the mites have gotten in our house as we have had the rabbits in the house a lot. The day I discovered that she was losing fur I had been cuddling with her. Later that day I discovered bumps all over my chest that look like little bites. Then a couple of days later I woke up with them all over my legs. I have read that the mites can't live on humans but they can live on other animals. I have concerns because we also have a cat and 2 dogs that have been in close proximity with the rabbits. So I'm worried that we might need to treat the other animals too but I don't have any medicine for that. The vet thought that it might not be necessary but I'm concerned that if I'm getting bit in the house that the pets might have them too.

Another question...I have been keeping them outside so they can eat the grass. I was originally planning to dose them and then move their cages to a different area to get them away from the infected area. But now I am thinking that if I move them the mites that are left behind will be looking for a new host which could end up being my cat or dogs. Now I am wondering if I would be better off keeping the rabbits there so that the mites stay on the rabbits to get killed by the medicine. Any opinions?

If this is going to be given orally, I would just split the dose up and carefully squirt the excess into another 1ml syringe first. There's no need to dilute it. I would also round the dosage amount to 0.03ml(1.5lb rabbit) and 0.05ml(2.5lb rabbit). The excess I would save for the next dose which should be given 10-14 days after the first one. This is to take care of any unhatched eggs that remain after the first dosing, to catch them after they hatch but before they lay new eggs. I would also prefer to give a third dose just to be safe, 10-14 days after the second dose. If in doubt, always check with your vet.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

As for the environment, and your dogs and cat, generally the mites shouldn't affect you or your other animals too much as they are species specific, so should just clear up with the rabbits being treated. However if you are continuing to get bit in your home after the rabbits either haven't been in your home or they've been treated, the environment may need to be treated as well. But I don't think that is usually necessary unless you have a source of continuing contamination in your home(eg. hay/straw, mice).

I wouldn't think the grass should be a problem either. But if there is a source of the mites that continues to contaminate the environment, then the mites could continue to be a problem even after treatment. So look at things like contaminated hay/straw, and if you get any infested wild or domestic animals that come into your yard.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice! I feel a bit better about things now! The syringe the vet gave is 3ml and I wouldn't know where to get a 1ml. I read somewhere that the ivermectin could be diluted with glycerin and I was considering trying that so I could split the doses since the amount in the 3ml syringe is so tiny.

We have treated our rabbits with 1% ivomec and for my 2 lb polish I give 1/2cc (ml) orally and then follow up with another dose in 2 weeks. That usually takes care of it unless it's a heavy infestation.

Rabbits can get mites from hay so you want to check it. I would keep them outside and off the ground until it's cleared up, and treat your house also.

Latest posts

Back