Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeyandluna

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know of any organizations that help with vet costs? Preferably the whole thing and allow you to pay them back in payments? Does something like that even exist? My buns need to go to the vet, they both have sores on their feet and I just dont have the money right now. I feel so horrible and Im afraid itll get worse. Between rent and bills, Ive been broke as hell. Barely able to make rent since my apartments decided to raise it.

Are you any where near Denver? Call Pet Parenthood Plus and talk with them--their concern is more with the health of the patient and they will work with you.

Im in the Springs, unfortunately. Ive tried everything and everywhere is either not accepting applicants or I don't live in their area. I tried the care credit that my vet accepts, but they denied me because I don't have any credit (I'm only 20 and have never had a credit card or anything).

I can give them a call, maybe they'll still help?

the show "Dr Jeff" on animal planet is all about their Vet Hospital in Denver--they work with everyone as their main concern is the welfare of the animal. Have seen them do work and charge $800 where another vet quoted $7K. Some have driven more than 4 hours to get there. And, they take payments because the animals welfare is most important to them.

So from a veterinary standpoint, Dr. Jeff is not fantastic at all. I get that he does things for cheaply, but he doesn't even wear a surgical gown or mask during open bone surgeries (even though it never shows it on the show, I would bet MANY of his patients have complications due to sepsis after his 'amazing' surgeries). In one of his episodes on a TPLO I believe, he let the SPO2 of an animal drop to 93 (it should never drop below 98, to put it in perspective). Anyone with a television show should be able to afford a surgical mask and gown (t's about $100 for a gown and it can be reused)- it just wouldn't show off his pretty muscles if he wore those.

As a general rule, veterinarians are ashamed to call Dr. Jeff a doctor and I personally would never let him touch my animals with a 90 foot pole. I'd rather let my animals live with damaged cruciates than pay to have him do a TPLO.

Sorry, I just believe very strongly that veterinary medicine is about doing your best, not doing what you can get away with. If you want to watch a show about a real doctor, Dr. Fitzgerald from Alameda East is a good substitute and if you want to see a good doctor with pretty muscles look up the 'hottest' veterinarian Dr. Evan Antin (both of these doctors believe in sterile procedures!!)

I would recommend calling some of your local vet offices, specifically the ones that are rabbit savvy. We found one that is about an hour drive from our house, but when one of our rabbits started having serious health problems, they told us about a program they had for people like us. They required us to pay a $35-$40 fee upfront, but then they took our checking account information and let us make monthly payments on the balance. They did have a cap to how much they allowed us to bill, but in the end, it was a lifesaver because by the time that a year went by, our rabbits and our old pup had cost us around $2,000, and we were able to keep making payments until we got our tax refund in the spring and could pay off the rest. Another suggestion is to do a fund raising campaign and ask friends or family to chip in and help you out.....you might be fortunate to find some animal lovers among you that will understand your struggle and want to help. I know the struggle of wanting to do better for your pets, but just not having the extra funds to do so. Don't give up!

If PetAid is near enough to you, I've heard good things about them. In non emergencies, I know the CSU VTH in Fort Collins does low income days once or twice per year (it's super fun for the vet students like me to volunteer a day!) and some shelters do things like that too. Good luck!

So from a veterinary standpoint, Dr. Jeff is not fantastic at all. I get that he does things for cheaply, but he doesn't even wear a surgical gown or mask during open bone surgeries (even though it never shows it on the show, I would bet MANY of his patients have complications due to sepsis after his 'amazing' surgeries). In one of his episodes on a TPLO I believe, he let the SPO2 of an animal drop to 93 (it should never drop below 98, to put it in perspective). Anyone with a television show should be able to afford a surgical mask and gown (t's about $100 for a gown and it can be reused)- it just wouldn't show off his pretty muscles if he wore those.

As a general rule, veterinarians are ashamed to call Dr. Jeff a doctor and I personally would never let him touch my animals with a 90 foot pole. I'd rather let my animals live with damaged cruciates than pay to have him do a TPLO.

Sorry, I just believe very strongly that veterinary medicine is about doing your best, not doing what you can get away with. If you want to watch a show about a real doctor, Dr. Fitzgerald from Alameda East is a good substitute and if you want to see a good doctor with pretty muscles look up the 'hottest' veterinarian Dr. Evan Antin (both of these doctors believe in sterile procedures!!)

Dr. Jeff does amazing work in his community and in Mexico for low income families who cannot afford vet care. One could argue that you shouldn't have the animal if you cannot afford vet care, but we live in a very imperfect world. He's likely saved hundreds of animals from dying painfully or being euthanized due to owners not being able to pay. I would guess that if animals were getting sick a lot from his lack of surgical gown/mask he would be getting in trouble from the American Association of Veterinary State Boards or other regulatory organizations.

If you want to watch an amazing show that has bunnies on it a lot check out Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER on Nat Geo Wild! Now that is a wonderful vet program! Very high quality vet care.

@mickeyandluna ~ Have you tried applying for Care Credit? It's pet insurance and is a life saver!
https://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

He has been in trouble with the AVMA on a few occasions. He can just afford good lawyers (but not surgical gowns, masks, or enough oxygen to keep the animal breathing well) so they can't do anything about it. I just don't like Dr. Jeff at all- He does not practice veterinary medicine to any sort of standard (surgeries at low income shelters are performed with more sterility), and he's very rude in person to be honest too. (His crew is all really nice though). He gives veterinarians a bad name and then they have to explain why they are charging $700 for something Dr. Jeff could do for half- and it's hard to explain without clips why I believe that his animals receive very little pain management, probably have long term (seen a few years down the road) damage from a lack of oxygen in surgery, and that probably up to 5% of his patients die from septic complications (the normal rate is about 1%). I hate putting another person down like this, but he frustrates me beyond belief.

I've never seen Dr. K- I'll have to check it out! CareCredit is AWESOME, if you get approved. Unfortunately you have to have a steady income, so not a lot of people who truly need it get approved (I have it and it's amazing! But I work part time while in school so I was able to get it).

[QhUOTE=RavenousDragon;1085441]He has been in trouble with the AVMA on a few occasions. He can just afford good lawyers (but not surgical gowns, masks, or enough oxygen to keep the animal breathing well) so they can't do anything about it. I just don't like Dr. Jeff at all- He does not practice veterinary medicine to any sort of standard (surgeries at low income shelters are performed with more sterility), and he's very rude in person to be honest too. (His crew is all really nice though). He gives veterinarians a bad name and then they have to explain why they are charging $700 for something Dr. Jeff could do for half- and it's hard to explain without clips why I believe that his animals receive very little pain management, probably have long term (seen a few years down the road) damage from a lack of oxygen in surgery, and that probably up to 5% of his patients die from septic complications (the normal rate is about 1%). I hate putting another person down like this, but he frustrates me beyond belief.

I've never seen Dr. K- I'll have to check it out! CareCredit is AWESOME, if you get approved. Unfortunately you have to have a steady income, so not a lot of people who truly need it get approved (I have it and it's amazing! But I work part time while in school so I was able to get it).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Ive applied for CC a few times and they always deny me. I don't know why because i know I can pay it.
I just tried again and they said I had to call for them to make a decision and then told me no over the phone. I even start my second job on the 16th so I know I can afford to pay the bill, guess its because i don't have any credit at all. Thanks for the suggestions anyway. Ill have to figure something out.

:( That's odd, because I also have 0 credit- I am not 100% sure how they make their decisions, but that seems dumb to me. I'm sorry they are being like that. Good luck with everything- hopefully you can get what you need.

Latest posts

Back