What Antibiotics To Use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
Hi, I have a friend who's bunny has pasterella (sp?), with sneezing, leaky eyes and nose. It's been getting worse the past 6 months. The bunny has been on different antibiotics in the past. He's had it as long as she's had him...she adopted him from someone at the age of 2 he's now 8. The 2 antibiotics he's been on are Baytril and ChlorPalm. She'd like to ask the Vet if their are any other antibiotics he can go on but would actually like to suggest a name of one. We are in Canada not sure if all antibiotics are the same/or available around the world. So preferably people from Canada make suggestions.

Thanks for your help
Susan
[email protected]

Pasteurella is notoriously difficult to treat and can't always be cured. It can come from a lot of different viral strains and you often have to try several antibiotics to find one that works. Penicillin G is sometimes used (in injection ONLY, it's toxic otherwise). Sometimes an apparent pasteurella hides an allergy problem (in that case, it's cortisone).
If it were my rabbit, I would ask the vet to make tests to find which bacteria is responsible of the problem and avoid losing time by trying things that won't help.

Sounds like this rabbit could benefit from a culture and sensitivity. That can confirm the causative bacteria and help select an appropriate antibiotic.

Latest posts

Back