unexpected bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baxter123

Reaction score
my 7 month old dwarf rabbit had unexpected bunnies sunday, this is her first litter and it was not planned she did pull fur but did not make a nest and she was moving around a lot during delivery which resulted in the babies being scattered, first one did not make it, second and third are still alive i made a nest box and i collected all of the fur i could. i left the nesting box in the cage with her and i noticed she would hop into the box and as soon as the bunnies would go to feed she dug in the corner and nearly threw the one out of the nesting box, shortly after she started chewing the nesting box and jumped right onto them until the one started squeaking very loudly. i left them in there thinking she was not trying to hurt them, and she is acting more like the nesting box is a hide-out hut more than it is her babies. she was trying to move the box around, so i finally took them out of the cage. i got her to sit still in the nesting box to feed the one but she bit me once one latched onto her. i am afraid she will hurt them, i am not sure what to do. i dont want to just let them die, but i do not want to force her to feed.. any opinions?

Sounds like she isn't ready to take care of kits yet. Are the babies snuggled in the back of the box? If she's digging they could be hurt. Then it might be best to only put the box of kits in there when they need to feed. Watch her and if she doesn't feed them you may have to put her in your lap and put the babies on her to feed.

Almost same thing happened with me a month back. Only that my mamma bun is almost a year old. I did flip feeding. But the problem is you get a thousand scratches on yourself if you are not careful and at least a hundred if you are careful. If you are going to try flip feeding, do wrap the mamma bun in a towel to relax her. I didn't know this way until one of the forum leaders advices me and it really did the work for me. :) You have to flip feed them otherwise they might get dehydrated. But first make sure the mamma bun is not helping at all.

My bun was very defensive of flip feeding for the first 4 days and then she got the instinct and started feeding the babies on her own. :) Your bun is immature (she is just 7 months) so you have to make her realise what is going on. Also make sure the bun is producing milk. She might need a vet trip otherwise. And yes, please do not keep the babies with their mother if the mother is causing them nicks. Have you seperated the mom and dad? You should.

That's pretty much the advice you need for now. Feed the mamma bunny loads and loads. And do post pictures. :)

Latest posts

Back