Safe Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanan

Reaction score
Hi. I am from India and I have four bunnies. Two 1 year olds and two 12 days olds. :D The one problem I am having is with the litter thing.

Mom gets upset when there's odour all over the place. I didn't know about the litter thing until few days back. But as soon as I was elated that things like litter exists, my happiness was broken down by the fact that most litters for rabbits are poisonous.

The biggest problem here is in India, small animals are not common pets. So, local stores do not have much supplies for Rabbits. We do not get Timothy or Oat hay like stuff here. We have Indian Hay (picture attached). I have no idea whether my bunnies will like it at all. :( I searched for litter online and the only ones I got said "Natural Wood Shavings - Wood Chips for small animals" and "Natural Saw Dust for small animals - lint free" and cat litters which have betonite clay. Now, none of them seem to be safe according to online forums although they promise to be dust free almost.

So, what is the solution I can use to control the litter problems?

hay.jpg

You can try looking for wood pellets (not shavings). Wood pellets can be the kind that are used for wood pellet stoves.
Do you know if there are horse supplies anywhere? Wood pellets are also commonly used as horse bedding.

I prefer wood pellets over other, more expensive litters.

Some cat litters are safe for rabbits. The paper pellets are safe (Yesterdays News, unscented). Products like plain Carefresh are also safe for rabbits.

No wood pellets are to be found here. And also Care fresh and Yesterday's News are not imported here. :(

I found Birch Shavings and "Witte Mollen" Wood Shavings. Are any of them safe?

Well its something like that which you should be looking for. Paper. Wood. In pellet form. Im sure there are a few brands out there and it may involve actually phoning a few stores to see who can order it in.
So it definitely exists and likely in many forms. But like with a lot of other countries the wording used to describe it may make it difficult to find online so I really urge you to actually talk to people at the stores.

Well its something like that which you should be looking for. Paper. Wood. In pellet form. Im sure there are a few brands out there and it may involve actually phoning a few stores to see who can order it in.m
So it definitely exists and likely in many forms. But like with a lot of other countries the wording used to describe it may make it difficult to find online so I really urge you to actually talk to people at the stores.

Right. I will try that. Thank you :D

Latest posts

Back