Ear Hematoma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
About a month ago my rabbit had a hematoma in his ear that the vet said was probably from scratching, it got to the point they had to do surgery...now it's all healed and his other ear is swelling up just like to other one...I'll be calling the vet first thing tomorrow but was wondering if anyone had ever had this happen. I'm concerned why it's suddenly happening...

Never seen it in a rabbit. Seen plenty of dogs and even my cat had one.
Usually stems from an ear infection of sorts or ear mites, and they scratch and shake their heads so much which causes the tissue to separate and fill with fluid/blood.
Has he been checked for mites or ear infections? Allergies? Other irritants?

Did the vet find any reason for the scratching th first time? Typically it is ear mites or an ear infection that is causing the issue. I've also only seen it in cats and dogs but not sure that it would be any different for rabbits.

No the vet just said it from scratching and I didn't know it could be from more. He has an appointment Monday to get checked so ill ask about all of that and have him checked.

Latest posts

Back