Iris

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivythelionhead

Reaction score
So Iris got spayed two Saturday's ago and now she's healing up nicely but I was told atleast two weeks for her to heal up properly by the vet and other people anyway today she's jumping around and I'm just wondering do you think there's a way her stitches could still rip? I'm just not sure how to get her to stop jumping around, I mean she's feeling great and is so eager to get out and obviously she can't yet but dose anyone have experience with this?

So I looked at Iris's incision today and it's very red around the area?

Red can be an infection or the rabbit licking it too much - it's unlikely that it's linked to her jumping around. Normally, it should be totally healed by now : when the thread isn't resorbable, the vet remove the stitches about 10 days after the operation. Is it hot to the touch or swollen? If you have a doubt, take her to the vet. But the fact that your rabbit is acting normally makes the infection kinda unlikely.

I called my vet and talked to the receptionist and she said that the red around the area is normal and if she's acting fine and eating and drinking then she's fine, I guess she could be licking it but I've never noticed her licking before especially to the point it's turning red, and I don't if it's hot and I don't think it looks swollen.

Just keep an eye on it for now. Rabbits are quite active at night, and she could be licking it when you're not around. Her hair is preparing to grow back so it will itch (even if it takes forever to grow back completely) and she might be feeling it a bit more when she doesn't have anyone around to entertain her and licking it some. I don't think the risk of infection is big this late after the operation, I woudn't worry.

Have you been checking it daily or every once in a while? Last time you checked it was it red?

Daily, I checked it today and then when my sister came home later I checked it again and showed it to her and it was still red.

So yesterday it wasn't red and today it is?

Anyway you can show us a picture? From what you describe it doesn't sound like an infection but keep an eye out.

No yesterday it was red to but not the day before that and today it looked more red, and I can't get a good pic cause she's lying down now and I'm trying not to bother her to much so like I said before she's eating and drinking and popping and peeing and acting normal, she's not very active in the day,even before I spayed her and let her run around she wasn't very active mostly just sat or lied down for most of the day and run around occasionally, she dose try and escape when I clean her litre box or spot clean her cage tho.

Have you ever been cut badly? Like maybe not even stitches bad but bad enough or on a spot that gets touched often like your ankle where your shoe rubs or the back of your hand.
When the wound starts to heal it hurts initially then it subsides for a bit then it gets irritating again. Itches like crazy sometimes. And is sometimez bright red around the edges depending on the depth and other factors of the cut itself. Until it is fully healed some wounds are the most annoying thing ever. These are all normal things and all a part of the natural healing process.
The stage Iris is in now is likely very irritating to her which may cause her to lick at the incision.

I got her a new chew today so I'm hoping it will distracted so she doesn't have to always lick her incision.

So Iris's two weeks are almost up for her recovery after her spay, do you think it's long enough or should I wait more?

So it's been 2 weeks since Iris was spayed and she gets to be let out tomorrow,I'm so nervous still I mean she's all healed up and her fur is growing back and everything looks good but I'm still so nervous,she should be fine to let out tomorrow right?

Latest posts

Back