Sos

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikaVincent

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've had my Netherland Dwarf Rabbit for about 6 years now and tonight when I went to give him some fresh hay and water I was petting him and felt skin under his chin, not fur. I picked him up and tried to check out his chin and he was not having it. I had to hold him down and have my boyfriend take a picture for me.

I'm so shocked at what I found and feel like a terrible rabbit mom. He has no fur under his chin and a huge scab and the skin is really red and irritated in spots!! I am honestly shocked and have no idea what's going on.

I am freaking out. Is he in pain? Why has this happened? What can I do to fix it!

Thanks!
Erika

With that amount of hair loss and a sore, I'd say take him to a vet. If he is eating/drinking and pooping normally, it's not an emergency, but I'd be worried about teeth issues (I can't really tell exactly where the sore is in relation to his mandible/ dental arcade). Sooner rather than later is my suggestion!

I was going to suggest that perhaps he's rubbed the fur off while chinning objects etc to mark them, but it's more down onto the throat than directly under the chin. It is unusual and I'd definitely recommend a vet visit as well. It does look quite unusual.

I'd say go to a vet too. Hair loss can be caused by several things - parasits (ringworms, mange...), a mechanical problem (like excessive rubbing, but like Azerane said the place is awkward for that kind of problem), or excessive salivation caused by a dental problem.
My guess would be parasits or fungal infection, considering the place where it is. But you can't really tell from a photo.
Like the other said, if the rabbit is eating and pooping normally it's not an emergency. Nevertheless, I wouldn't wait too much as most problems tend to worsen quite quickly and that it's always easier to treat something before it gets infected / in its early stage.

Thanks guys! Just got back from the vet. They aren't quite sure why it's happening but they gave me an antibiotic to be safe and some revolution just in case it's mites under his skin. Poor little fella has had a rough day. So has my wallet! Haha

Latest posts

Back