Litter training?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kookiebun

Reaction score
Hello everyone, :sly: so i'm new to rabbits and i haven't gotten mine yet (i will be getting it soon though) and i was kind of worrying about litter training (especially with my parents always saying that rabbits stink but i know that's not completely true)
So to get to the point, i've seen some people say that litter training rabbits is hard but i've also watched a few videos about litter training and they said it's actually easier than people think. I'm kinda confused :what: Someone said it's even easier than litter training cats. What do you all think? Was it easy with your bunny?

Mine came from the humane society and they were already trained. They're better about it when they're spayed/neutered which makes a better pet in general imo. They will generally pick a spot where they like to go, and that's where you put the litter box. Keep fresh hay in there and that will encourage your bun to hang out there and do their business.

Rabbits train easiest once spayed/neutered (as stevesmum stated). Fixed rabbits practically train themselves. It is simply a matter of providing the right set up.

Are you getting a rabbit from a rescue that is already fixed? That is most highly recommended for a new bunny owner. Getting a baby is not advised for numerous reasons, not the least of which is the potty training issue. (especially if your parents are already leery about having issues) Babies may or may not train, but those that do, may forget that training once hormones activate. Then it's a matter of fixing them (can be couple hundred dollars for a spay -- are your parents ok with that?) and then re-training after they are fixed.

While hormonal bunny may exhibit no hormonal signs or a bunch. Potential signs include growling, lunging, biting, grumpiness, excessive destructive chewing, spraying urine. If bunny was trained as a baby and then un-trains, that means there could be pee accidents on carpet (again, a concern with your parents). This could be unexpected too if bunny was doing well and suddenly is urinating where he/she shouldn't.

Here is a guide for potty training that may prove helpful.

With Iris I just put her hay rack above her litre box and her food dish inside it and water bottle over top of it so she would understand to go there after she drank or ate and if I saw her poop elsewhere I'd pick it up and put it back in her litre box so she would get the idea to only use the litre box and it worked quite well.

Mine came from the humane society and they were already trained. They're better about it when they're spayed/neutered which makes a better pet in general imo. They will generally pick a spot where they like to go, and that's where you put the litter box. Keep fresh hay in there and that will encourage your bun to hang out there and do their business.

That sounds pretty easy, hopefully it'll work with me. I still need to talk with my parents about the spaying/neutering thing though...

Rabbits train easiest once spayed/neutered (as stevesmum stated). Fixed rabbits practically train themselves. It is simply a matter of providing the right set up.

Are you getting a rabbit from a rescue that is already fixed? That is most highly recommended for a new bunny owner. Getting a baby is not advised for numerous reasons, not the least of which is the potty training issue. (especially if your parents are already leery about having issues) Babies may or may not train, but those that do, may forget that training once hormones activate. Then it's a matter of fixing them (can be couple hundred dollars for a spay -- are your parents ok with that?) and then re-training after they are fixed.

While hormonal bunny may exhibit no hormonal signs or a bunch. Potential signs include growling, lunging, biting, grumpiness, excessive destructive chewing, spraying urine. If bunny was trained as a baby and then un-trains, that means there could be pee accidents on carpet (again, a concern with your parents). This could be unexpected too if bunny was doing well and suddenly is urinating where he/she shouldn't.

Here is a guide for potty training that may prove helpful.

Thanks for replying. I don't think the rabbits are already spayed/neutered from where i'm getting mine but i do hope my parents will accept paying for the vet and by the way, thinking about getting my bunny spayed/neutered is kinda scary especially since bunnies are quite sensitive (and i'm a newbie lol) i know it's best for him/her but will a bunny be alright after getting spayed/neutered?

With Iris I just put her hay rack above her litre box and her food dish inside it and water bottle over top of it so she would understand to go there after she drank or ate and if I saw her poop elsewhere I'd pick it up and put it back in her litre box so she would get the idea to only use the litre box and it worked quite well.

Thanks for the tip! Hopefully it'll work for me :D

Thanks for replying. I don't think the rabbits are already spayed/neutered from where i'm getting mine but i do hope my parents will accept paying for the vet and by the way, thinking about getting my bunny spayed/neutered is kinda scary especially since bunnies are quite sensitive (and i'm a newbie lol) i know it's best for him/her but will a bunny be alright after getting spayed/neutered?

It is really important for females to be spayed. They have an incredibly high chance of getting cancer by age 5 if they remain intact.

Rabbit rescues usually only allow rabbits to be adopted after the rescue has already had them fixed.

If the rabbit you are considering is not fixed, I strongly suggest you speak with your parents about spaying before you get the rabbit. You'll need to find a rabbit savvy vet before you get your rabbit anyway. So you can ask the vet how much they charge for a rabbit spay. We've seen costs from a couple hundred to over $400. If your parents aren't ok with that, then it really isn't a good idea to get an intact rabbit. In that case, you definitely would want to stick with an already fixed rabbit.

I put a box with litter, added some hay and she went in it. Sometimes she didn't but she usually did. She peed a few times on our couch and carpet, but once she got spayed she hasn't peed anywhere except her litterbox. Rabbits are very clean animals, I didn't do much "training", she just figured it out herself.

I know the thought of getting your bunnies neutered or spayed is scary believe me I know I just got my Iris spayed and I was terrified but after I got it done and she came home and I realized that all my worry was silly and also that she was gonna be fine it made it easier play I couldn't be more happy that I got her spayed because the odds of her living much longer are way better now also she's happier and now so am I and if I so choose I can find her a boyfriend.

After seeing it done several times it's really not that scary. Neutering is unbelievably simple and vets have spayed so often that it is simple as well.

Latest posts

Back