New Kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pizzi

Reaction score
Help! I have 4 rabbits in a cage. 3 are female and 1 is male. I was planning on separating the male from the female this week (did not think they were of mating age yet). I woke up this morning and found babies in the cage. They are alive and seem to be healthy. The problem is, I do not know which of the three female rabbits is the mother. There was no fur pulled out (babies were just on the side of the cage) and on examining all three, none of their teats are swollen or seem to be producing milk. Not sure what to do.

Firstly, remove the male if you have not done so already. At this stage you will just need to keep all three does together still if they are still getting along until you can figure out which is the mother. Give them a nest box too and put some hay in it and transfer the kits into it to keep them warm. The mum will only feed them once or twice a day, usually in the late evening or early morning. It's also possible your other does are pregnant too, so it may be worth adding additional nest boxes.

Some rabbits can breed from as early as 12 weeks of age.

Why does this keep happening? You don't keep rabbits together past their 8th week. Afterwards, all rabbits that will live together must be neutered and spayed BEFORE being introduced.
Chances are, like Azerane said, that the other does are pregnant too. And that the mother of the kits is pregnant again. She can be impregnated immediately after giving birth. If that's the case, she might feel overwhelmed and kill her kits.

Do as Azerane said. As soon as you see which doe is nursing then remove the other two. Does usually first nurse newborns by 24 hours after kindling.

Latest posts

Back