New bunny~ first time owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are first time bunny owners, last night we adopted a (supposedly) 8 week old dwarf Lionhead, we got him from a lady who had many cats and the cats were not accepting the bunny (not surprising)

we first would like to know if there is any critical information we need to be aware of. I have owned small animals before but never a bunny.
He will be seeing the vet early next week

Thank you

I am trying to add some phots but it isn't working

Always have unlimited hay. It's the most important thing for them to eat.

They are super super sensitive animals. They need to be eating and pooping constantly for their gut to keep working.

When they stop eating and pooping it's an emergency and need to go to the vet.

Read www.rabbit.org for how to properly take care of a bunny.

:)

Yep, the first rule of owning a bunny is : hay, hay, hay, tons of good quality hay. Then, exercise. A rabbit is not meant to live in a cage, he needs a run attached to it if he can't be free-ranged and at least 5 hours of freedom a day.
If you don't know much about rabbits, I strongly suggest you read everything on the house rabbit society website, especially the diet and housing articles, also about litter training and such. It's very reliable and explain everything clearly. Then, if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask:
http://rabbit.org/category/care/diet/

You'll need to determine for sure if your rabbit is a male or a female (it's not easy to tell on young rabbits), because a female will imperatively need to be spayed (the ovarian / uterine cancer risk is around 80% if you don't).

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the welcoming and informational replies.

I have to be honest, at first I thought "Maybe I shouldn't I take this bunny" not knowing a thing about it's needs. but it seemed he was in distress! living in a xs dog crate with no bedding surrounded by cats... cats that had free range inside and outside :nono
so I did. I paid WAY more than anyone wanted to pay and the lady was very set on selling it for profit (I suspect she made about $200 off me) and I don't have one single regret. he has perked up a ton. last night he came running over to greet me. is eating tons of hay and pooping a bunch! literally the cutest little creature ever!

I have been reading alot, I have a couple questions/clarifications, then I am going to start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

1. do I mix the old hay with the new to transition him gradually or just swap it out completely?
he/she came with half a bag of the cheapest rabbit feed pellets you can buy- I bought Kaytee hay and pellets, and that is what he has been munching on I now know it's not the right stuff because it isn't alfalfa so, I bought Kaytee alfalfa just now. would I do 50/50? I read that changing their diet so Dramatically isn't good.

2. Should I get a salt lick?
he/she is licking me like crazy! I read bunny's do that and I'm flattered~ smitten :) But, could this mean he needs a salt lick? and if so what one do I get?

Some things for sure I did know before we got him is that they don't belong in a cage so he will have somewhat of a bunny mansion for the time he is not hopping freely. right now he is in a smaller cage (not as small as the crate he was in) just until he has time to get settled in and trusts me. I want him to feel safe.

phew! That's all here, I am going to start a new thread with all my questions in the General Rabbit Discussion.

:bunnyheart

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the welcoming and informational replies.

I have to be honest, at first I thought "Maybe I shouldn't I take this bunny" not knowing a thing about it's needs. but it seemed he was in distress! living in a xs dog crate with no bedding surrounded by cats... cats that had free range inside and outside :nono
so I did. I paid WAY more than anyone wanted to pay and the lady was very set on selling it for profit (I suspect she made about $200 off me) and I don't have one single regret. he has perked up a ton. last night he came running over to greet me. is eating tons of hay and pooping a bunch! literally the cutest little creature ever!

I have been reading alot, I have a couple questions/clarifications, then I am going to start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

1. do I mix the old hay with the new to transition him gradually or just swap it out completely?
he/she came with half a bag of the cheapest rabbit feed pellets you can buy- I bought Kaytee hay and pellets, and that is what he has been munching on I now know it's not the right stuff because it isn't alfalfa so, I bought Kaytee alfalfa just now. would I do 50/50? I read that changing their diet so Dramatically isn't good.

2. Should I get a salt lick?
he/she is licking me like crazy! I read bunny's do that and I'm flattered~ smitten :) But, could this mean he needs a salt lick? and if so what one do I get?

Some things for sure I did know before we got him is that they don't belong in a cage so he will have somewhat of a bunny mansion for the time he is not hopping freely. right now he is in a smaller cage (not as small as the crate he was in) just until he has time to get settled in and trusts me. I want him to feel safe.

phew! That's all here, I am going to start a new thread with all my questions in the General Rabbit Discussion.

:bunnyheart

1. i would mix it up, and gradually do more and more of your hay

2, when i first had rabbits i had a salt lick, but there isn't really a need for one, your rabbit should be getting the nutrition it needs from the pellets.
if your rabbit is licking you, it means he likes you and trust you! (my bunny does that two) :D

I'm glad you rescued him, he's sooo cute!

1. He really does NOT need alfalfa hay, as it can be harder to switch them off Alfalfa hay when they're older (6 months). Best to continue feeding youngsters Timothy or other GRASS type hays. His pellets should be Alfalfa based however, Gradual switch onto the new pellets over about 1 week to avoid digestive upset. Then switch them to an adult pellet around 6 months of age. Kaytee brand is fine. You just want a pellet that doesn't have loose seeds and grains mixed in. Pure pellets. And hay does NOT need to be from a bag and have a brand name either. Timothy hay from the feed store baled for horses is perfect. Much cheaper. And lasts way longer. Don't overpay for your dried grass.

2. No salt lick. They get the Vitamins/salt they need naturally from their veggies or their pellets.

1. He really does NOT need alfalfa hay, as it can be harder to switch them off Alfalfa hay when they're older (6 months). Best to continue feeding youngsters Timothy or other GRASS type hays. His pellets should be Alfalfa based however, Gradual switch onto the new pellets over about 1 week to avoid digestive upset. Then switch them to an adult pellet around 6 months of age. Kaytee brand is fine. You just want a pellet that doesn't have loose seeds and grains mixed in. Pure pellets. And hay does NOT need to be from a bag and have a brand name either. Timothy hay from the feed store baled for horses is perfect. Much cheaper. And lasts way longer. Don't overpay for your dried grass.

2. No salt lick. They get the Vitamins/salt they need naturally from their veggies or their pellets.
:yeahthat:

Ok, that's good to know, thank you.. I guess I assumed its like dog food and it has to cost a fortune to be high quality :)

Timothy hay is what I bought but it has dried fruit and veggies.. so I will just exchange that for the kind without.. he didn't have hay before I got him and I hope its ok I just started giving to him? I really hope so because he LOVES it and it would crush him if I took it away! I cant imagine the lady had him very long before I got him if he is that young and I suspect he had a better diet before that situation. he seems to chipper to not have. however, he is very bony he doesn't have any fat on him what-so-ever, this might be normal I don't know unfortunately I cant get him to a vet until next week. so I am winging till then.

Welcome to the forum! He is sooo cute. I have a lion head too :)

I see in your cage you have litter and hay on the entire floor. That's fine, but honestly it's a waste of money :) it's easier to just fold up a fleece flow and use that for the floor of your cage. Keep the litter in just the litter box and hay in a hay rack or in the litter box.
You will see that rabbits can be surprisingly expensive so it's good to save money when you can :)

Welcome ! I'm assuming your bunny is called "Dudley" ?
Really a sweetie. Love that color.
If it helps --we started buying a full bale of hay from a co op in the next town over. We divide it into sections and place it in bags to prevent a mess--- then parcel it out to the buns. Before that we bought hay from WalMart... but that gets expensive.

Good luck with your bunny ! :)

Latest posts

Back