Can I do it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xdiddersx

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new. I have three rabbits called Tammy, Toto and Winnie. My first rabbit I got was Tammy who I rescued, whose history was she came into the rescue pregnant and lost all her babies due to neurological issues, the vets thought. Anyway I rescued Tammy who at the time was quite young herself , less than a year old the rescue thought. She was spayed and when I got her I found she was really nervous. After weeks of trying to bond with her, I decided to get her a friend as she was always scared of her own shadow and thought she could do with the company. I got a baby rabbit who was male and kept him in a separate room. When he came of age, I neutered him, well the vet did. And I managed to bond them successfully. His personality is a lot more confident and he will approach for treats and cuddles. They groom each other and play tag and are just a lovely pair .

Here comes Winnie's story. I found Winnie in the street when it was snowing, managed to catch her after two hours and popped her in an indoor cage. Anyway she wasn't micro chipped and after door knocking and found posters on social media, in the street etc I couldn't find her owner. She wasn't tame or neutered, she is both of those things now. She's currently in her own bedroom but I want that room so I can start a family.

This is my very long winded way of asking is if she can be bonded with my pair?

Thank you for reading ☺️

Welcome to the forum :)
I understand it is doable but harder than bonding a pair. I've never done it myself but I know there are some great tutorials on thebunnychick.com. I think she has bonded up to 5 rabbits successfully.

It can be done. It really depends on the rabbits' personality. The problem will probably be between the does - if you are lucky enough to have a 'natural leader' in one of them or that one of them is pretty submissive (or doesn't care much about hierarchy - it happens, some rabbits are less interested in that stuff than others) it can work. After that, fingers crossed the new girl doesn't hate rabbits (rabbits have their sociopathes too :) and that they have compatible personalities. You can't know before you try.

It sounds like you did your homework before bonding your pair, so you probably already know how to do a 'basic' bonding - introductions in a neutral small space with nice vegetables to help making things pleasant, a water spray in your hand (just in case the normal humping and flying fur gets violent), getting rid of the smells on the territory before putting them back together, no place were one of the bunnies could be cornered...
stevesmum suggestion is a good one. I read those articles a few years ago and they were useful. The house rabbit society also has articles about bonding a group: http://rabbit.org/introducing-rabbits-in-a-group-situation/

Keep us posted on your bonding and don't hesitate if you have any question!

I have successfully bonded 7 female rabbits that are currently and very happily living together. They live in a large colony space and have worked out a hierarchy between them. They are a mix of breeds from a Holland Lop, to a Netherland dwarf, to a Mini Rex.

Latest posts

Back