Red Urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moop

Reaction score
I have a 2 and a half month old baby female bunny and she seems perfectly fine. She sleeps, eats, poops, and does everything normally except recently I've been noticing that her pee has a red tint to it. I was wondering what this meant.

View attachment 1486531394951.jpg

She has had treats from the pet store that say they're okay for babies, I just bought those today though. I'm not sure how soon of an effect that would have and her pee also looked like this last week. It was red then gradually started turning more yellow everytime she went and now the attached photo was just half an hour ago

Last edited:
What is the photo, a bed? There is two reasons for red urine (when it's blood, it's more like red streaks on normal urine, and it's pretty rare) : the food (some hay, some plants like dandelions... turn the urine red) or marking urine.
At 10 weeks, your doe will begin to exhibit hormonal behaviors. When you find red urine on places like the sofa, beds, pillows... (rabbits love soft objects or things that they can jump on - being on a 'high place' is being an a position of power as you can watch the whole room better than an the floor) it's often marking. Generally, it doesn't smell that great as it's her way of telling everyone it's hers. Spaying is the only cure.

Don't buy treats, especially not petshop treats. Treats are always awful, they are full of things your rabbit shouldn't eat and will make her fat. Your rabbit need good quality pellets, grainless with no added sugar / salt / molasses (I use a European brand, but I think sherwood is good - someone posted a list from the House Rabbit society a few days ago) in limited quantity ; a ton of very good hay. Some people recommend to wait to introduce vegetables (I don't do it, but that's a personnal decision and if your rabbit comes from a petshop waiting might be a good idea as her mother was probably incorrectly fed). But then you'll have to introduce vegetables one by one and in the end her diet should be mainly hay, then vegetables, then pellets.
If you really want to give her treats (I don't - the idea that animals need treats is completely human and I think it causes more problems than anything...) an occasionnal thin slice of apple or carrot is perfect. It costs less and won't cause your rabbit digestive upsets. If you can get that a branch of apple tree or hazelnut tree is also very good and will keep her occupied for days.

Blood in urine cannot be detected by the human eye. It can be checked by a clinic. Most blood in rabbits comes from unsprayed females. As I wrote previously the colour of urine can change frequently.

Latest posts

Back