Phantom Pregnancy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

__DD__

__DD__
Reaction score
I've recently got my buck neutered, and i'm due to get my Doe done in March. They are in separate hutches, and have been since i've had her. I had her off a breeder on the 27th December, and up until the last two days she has been fine. I opened her hutch door today and found *alot* of plucked fur, and what looks like a nest.
Am I getting my timings wrong here? Could she be pregnant or is this a "phantom" pregnancy? And if so what can I do about it, or how can I help her be more comfortable?

Treat it as a real pregnancy, at least until 34 days after getting her are over.

Mine do have false pregnancies sometimes, but it's rather rare that they pluck fur and build a nest with it at that occasions, but, well, all rabbits are different.

So, give her enough hay so she can improve the nest, and watch her closly, mine tend to lose appetite about one day prior kindling.

Are they indoors, or if outdoors well sheltered from wind and draft? Also, if they are on wire I would put cardboard as floor under the nest, or better, make her a nestbox, put the nest in and place it back where it is now. A little description un how they live makes it easier to suggest how to improve things.

A picture of the doe, from straight above, can sometimes show if pregnant or not, but you'll know for sure in a few days.

No, she's not on wire. Just a normal out door hutch. She has made the nest up stairs, as down stairs is open, so it's sheltered and well.

Here I just took some whilst she is out and about in the garden.

When I first had her, she was extremely under weight, so the vet advised feeding her up in able for her to put more weight on before I have her fixed, so I can't distinguish whether she's put weight on because of the food, or if she's pregnant!

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

Well, there is a small bulge behind the ribs, but that could be just normal for her (I'm not familiar with small breeds).
This is a picture of one my does, just an example when it would be more conclusive, but I had rabbits pregnant with 10 kits and I would have bet she wasn't 2 days before kindling.

So, I guess you'll have to wait it out, have fun :popcorn2

Schwarze Wurf 7 - 24-10-2015.jpg

How old was she when you got her? Honestly, a phantom pregnancy wouldn't be surprising with an intact doe in close quarter with a male (they really don't need much to believe they are pregnant ^^). A serious breeder wouldn't mix intact does with bucks before selling them and certainly wouldn't sell a possibly pregnant doe to someone not asking for one (and without mentioning it!), but then again, a serious breeder wouldn't sell a severely underweight doe. So, like Preitler said, you'll just have to wait a bit to find out. The good news is that considering you got her almost a month ago you won't have too long of a wait before knowing for sure.

She is three. Got her on the 27th December. So 28 days in. So, indeed. Not sure if I'm bloody excited or scared.
However I just got in contact with the person I got her off, and apparently she retried her because she ate the babies!

Ouch, I hope she's not pregnant then - moving to your place was probably pretty stressful for her and stressed does do tend to kill their kits. So if she was retired because she was a bad mother, the odds are not very good for a potential litter.
You'll know for sure in a week then -finger crossed that it's just a phantom pregnancy. Just in case you don't know : if it is a phantom pregnancy, she can have others before getting spayed, so make sure she isn't experiencing one when she is - even if it's just in her head, phantom pregnancies really emulate the symptoms of a real pregnancy, which means the blood flows more than usual in her womb and that she can sometimes produce milk... all of this means that the risks of hemorraghe during the operation are a lot higher than normal.

Latest posts

Back