Bunny poop is weird? Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocoxbunny

Reaction score
Ok i'm not sure if this is normal or not, but on the 18th i had my bunny spayed and she was pretty down that day and wasn't eating much and today I noticed her poop was different. She has pooped her normal little cocoa puffs but this was something unusual that i noticed, is it normal? I'm thinking it might be from the medicine that they told me to give her maybe? Also, is there anything else i should be looking out for? Any information would be very helpful!

IMG_8899.jpg

I would say keep on eye on it. It might be the medicine, but still keep a close watch. I'm paranoid so I would stick to just feeding her hay until she's back to normal. Give her fresh hay every day since rabbits always pick the best bits out and after a day only the mediocre bits are left. She'll eat more if there are tasty bits in the hay.

Not eating much on the day of the spay is quite normal as it hurts quite a lot and an operation is always kinda traumatizing for the bunny. How is she eating now? Her hay? I generally have a stash of special hay (the very pricey one, like second crop or Crau hay) that I use when one of my rabbit is ill / stressed / after a vet visit / when I go to a business trip... in short, everytime that something could disrupt my rabbit's diet. It encourages the rabbit to eat more fibers and help to avoid an upset tummy.
Which meds are you giving? Generally, after a spay, rabbits are given Meloxicam (metacam) for the pain but some vets also give antibiotics. Antibiotics can provoke weird kinda soft poos. If it continues for more than a day, I would give your vet a call. It might be a good idea to stop the meds (with your vet's agreement) if the spay wound looks clean and not inflammed. The meds are generally given for 5-7 days anyway.
So, it's not normal but it's probably nothing really worrying if it doesn't last for long.

I would say keep on eye on it. It might be the medicine, but still keep a close watch. I'm paranoid so I would stick to just feeding her hay until she's back to normal. Give her fresh hay every day since rabbits always pick the best bits out and after a day only the mediocre bits are left. She'll eat more if there are tasty bits in the hay.

Yeah it seems like she's slowly getting back to normal now and she's a bit more active and eating more. I have tons of hay and "rough greens" as the post-op care stated so she looks like she's doing good on that end now so i just have to keep up with her poops and seeing how that is now.

Not eating much on the day of the spay is quite normal as it hurts quite a lot and an operation is always kinda traumatizing for the bunny. How is she eating now? Her hay? I generally have a stash of special hay (the very pricey one, like second crop or Crau hay) that I use when one of my rabbit is ill / stressed / after a vet visit / when I go to a business trip... in short, everytime that something could disrupt my rabbit's diet. It encourages the rabbit to eat more fibers and help to avoid an upset tummy.
Which meds are you giving? Generally, after a spay, rabbits are given Meloxicam (metacam) for the pain but some vets also give antibiotics. Antibiotics can provoke weird kinda soft poos. If it continues for more than a day, I would give your vet a call. It might be a good idea to stop the meds (with your vet's agreement) if the spay wound looks clean and not inflammed. The meds are generally given for 5-7 days anyway.
So, it's not normal but it's probably nothing really worrying if it doesn't last for long.

The first day it didn't seem like she was eating much, but now its the third day after and she seems to be more active and eating more, she seems like her usual self. They told me to give her the metacam for 3 days after the surgery so today is going to be the last day so maybe after tomorrow if her poop continues to be weird again i'll probably call the vet.

Latest posts

Back