Escaping bunny?? Or my negligence.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xxviroxx1

Reaction score
So I put simba to bed a 9:30pm last night so I could get into bed and watch a film I thoughtI closed the cage I swear I did but I think I only put one plastic clarpse on. At around midnight my Flat mate shouts that rabbits out and the cats there!

Simba has his own area but has not heating so we put him to bed at night and leave the door open so the heating from the rest of the house flows through other wise its far to cold!

I've checked him all over and cant see any visible signs of injury he's eating popping like normal. So I don't think the cat got him.

So I don't no is it possible that he opened his cage?

Have any of your bunnies done a Houdini?

We would need to see a picture of the cage to be sure but a rabbit opening a cage seems improbable. Rabbits paws are not very nimble, they can't do the kind of things rats can do and their toes don't have much strenght. So you probably closed it wrong. It happens when you do things mechanically. ^^
Rabbits can jump very high, dig and even climb for some of them (I've got a climber now), but opening a cage from the inside seems difficult.

Yea it depends, is it a x-pen or a cage? My rabbit got out too last night from her x-pen Bc I didn't secure it properly.

I tested it a minute ago I must of not done the clarpses he shakes the bars which he can then push it open :embarrassed: so my fault I'll have to double/triple check!!

IMG_4014.jpg

Yes, if the cage isn't secured and the rabbit figures out how to open a door once, they will try again. Last year I came home to stuff on the floor from an escaped rabbit. The cage was about 4 feet from the floor, but the bunny either fell or jumped out. My dad found him on a table next to another bunny's cage, and the stuff on the table had been knocked off.

Of my current rabbits, I have 2 that have figured out how to open an unlatched cage door. Both cages have doors that one has to slide up to the top of the bottom part before they will swing open. However, their cages are 3 - 4 feet from the floor and they haven't tried to jump out. Attached is a picture of my French Angora Teddy looking out of his cage after he got the door open. Teddy will put his nose through the bars and lift up. Now, I use clips to secure the doors to the cage.

teddy.jpg

My own rabbits' cages are held together with velcro, and one rabbit has figured out how to reach the little velcro pieces we had (we basically wrap the door with a cloth and velcro bit and 'tie' it shut) and can open his cage door! Luckily we found out after minimal damage and have a hidden piece of velcro on his door now.

One of my rabbits can get out of nearly any cage. I've had to be extra cautious with the cages we buy, insuring that the only way the latches could be undone was if you have thumbs. In our old cage, I actually found an old padlock that I attached to the "front door" so to speak. I really didn't need to open the front of the cage that much anyways (since ours also opens from the top), but it was very easy to unlock if need be.

I have a friend who owns Guinea pigs that uses those jumbo plastic tabs from bread bags to secure the door to the side of their cage. As long as your rabbit won't chew the plastic, that could be another possibility.

If your rabbit has never gotten out before, it could have been a slip up on your part. But rabbits aren't stupid, and are able to figure their way out of thing- such as hutches or cages. Just be sure to take precautions if you think your rabbit managed to open the door hisself. Good luck!

We used to use playpens and fence wire as a barricade, til two of my smallest and the biggest lop we had showed a proclivity for climbing over. I watched from down the hallway and it was like watching a spider climb a wall, only faster. Bunnies are smart, so if you miss one little thing...you know what happens.

Pippi has gotten out of her xpen before. The door closes with this sliding latch, and I apparently didn't pull the match far enough. She grabbed the door and wiggled it, and she was Free! I was reading a book in the bedroom, and from the corner of my eye, I see this shadow zoom past my door. I thought it was a ghost (I have a video of random noises freaking my other two rabbits out. The house was silent, by when you play the video, there's a laugh, and what sounds like talking. My house is built in one of the most fought over place during the American Civil War, so I'm sure it's haunted.. Anyway...) I decided to ignore it, then the shadow zooms by the door again. I decided to get up and investigate, and surprise! Pippi was sitting in the hallway. Little rascally rabbit... I now use these clips to secure the door, and she has a roof thing over the top of the xpen (she has tried climbing out before). You would think she never gets playtime, but that bunny gets so much playtime it isn't funny. Lol.

This is Pippi's standard pose (or sphinxing by the door) Note the open door... She stood there for 20 minutes, giving us the "deprived rabbit stare," but in all honesty, she is one of the most spoiled creatures on this green Earth. ^_^

Oh your bun is soooooo cute!!!

rabbits are more capable then you think at escape. I had a buck once who could escape from almost any cage..

Latest posts

Back