Dislocated knee discussion #2

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
Okay so my Rabbit went to the vet who diagnosed his limp because of a dislocated knee that would not stay after being put back in so the vet sent him home with pain meds and said rest so that is what I have been doing but I don't completely trust this vet he was the only one close I could make it to. But luckily I found a vet that I really want to get him to asap for a second opinion. Has anyone else had a bunny that had this problem or has been through the surgery to correct it? My family keeps telling me to put him down cause the surgery won't work. I'm also worried cause for the past 2 days he's been really lazy. He come out and eats his treats, hay and veggies (picking at his pellets) and drinking but the day before his poops were really small and I was worried but then he was eating but yesterday when I came home from work I found that I don't think he's pooping. I didn't think a whole lot of it since he was eating but now I'm getting worried anything I could do to help until a vet can see him? Could it be from his pain meds? Should I try critical care or pineapple?

I don't have personal experience with this but I several people whose rabbits went through this and none of them had to be put down! Dislocations and fractures are not rare with bunnies. If you find a good vet, the operation works pretty well and the rabbit is back to normal after a few weeks (the recovery is pretty troublesome as the rabbit shouldn't move much for a week so should be kept in a small cage or a pet carrier). Honestly even if no operation was possible, which is unlikely for a simple dislocation (that's more of a complicated fracture thing), I've known several rabbits whose leg was to be amputated and they lived very well on three legs...

But, you really shouldn't wait to act as the problem is likely to get worse. Did you make an appointment with the new vet? If your rabbit isn't eating, which is due to the pain (metacam only does so much when you're walking on a dislocated limb...) he will need Reglan and probably an injection of pain meds. Explain the situation when you call the vet and insist to be seen immediately, saying that your rabbit is probably in GI stasis which is an absolute emergency. I would call right now. Stasis can kill a rabbit in 48h.

He is eating he's just not really pooping which is what my biggest concern. I just found the new vet last night so I want to call today.

Yeah, eating and not pooping much is not good. You need something to accelerate the guts movement to avoid a blockage.
I hope the new vet finds a solution. Keep us posted about what he says.

Sounds like you have 2 different problems on your hands now. Dislocated knee and possibly beginning stages of GI stasis. As you know the GI stasis takes priority and should be addressed asap, even by your old vet.
As far as the dislocated knee... I don't know much about it. But I would listen to what the second vet says and what he says he has to offer. Then you need to evaluate the likelihood the surgery would work, cost, age of your rabbit, and then the post op care. Many rabbits go into GI stasis after surgery so you will be needing to probably care for that as well around the clock. You need to see what the vet says, realistically weight your options and make a educated decision on what you want to do. Good luck

Latest posts

Back