toys, eventual size, food questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikamc

Reaction score
My bunny is now 6 weeks old. She is a pistol! what sort of things can I give her to entertain herself with? I'm planning on buying a couple bird toys for her to destroy. I saw mention some where once of a "digging box", what would that be?

She currently weighs a little over a pound, is there anyway to determine how big she might get?

At what age do I stop giving her alfalfa and unlimited pellets?

For the alfalfa and the unlimited pellets, it depends on the rabbit. I'd say around 5 months old when the rabbit is mostly grown, but if you feel like she is not eating as much hay as she should (her body in hay every day) at any point, the unlimited pellets must stop as they are more enticing than hay and sometimes prevent the rabbit from making the healthy choice. Some rabbits know how to regulate themselves... others do not ^^.

For the toys, it also depends on the rabbit but with mine the only thing that was always a hit with everyone are cardboard boxes. I generally cut holes in the side to make 4 doors (rabbits like to have several escape possibilities). The rabbits love to stay inside, to scratch the bottom part (which will help keeping them active and wearing down their nails a bit), to go in and out real fast... You can also fill up a smaller cardboard box with hay or balls of paper... and that's a digging box ^^. Cisal mats are also a hit with most rabbits.
The pair I have right now love sticks. I have a garden and apple tree and hazelnut tree branches keep them occupied for a long time (Tybalt is an expert at peeling the bark).
I've had a rabbit who liked plastic keys - you know, the one they give to babies when they start teething?
I also have a metal ball suspended to the roof of their cage in which you can put hay or vegetables. Aki is the only one who uses it.
In general, I notice rabbits like hidding places. But they also like different flooring (the cisal mat or a cushion or a carpet will make mine binky like there is no tomorrow) and to have a high place from where they can 'tower' over the room (my mother made me a "rabbit castle" with old wooden wine crates 8 years ago and it never got old - it has two storeys and a roof and all have been used a lot by everyone ^^).

It would be impossible to know her grown size without knowing her breed(s). As to feed, you can give alfalfa pellets until about 6 months old. Hay is important but it doesn't provide the nutrients a youngster needs while growing so I would offer unlimited pellets unless she's getting overweight, and then I would limit.

Hey guys thanks for the advice/info! I think with her, I'm just going to have to redirect her to appropriate items! I have paper towel tubes, jingly cat balls, krinkly cat balls, tubes of paper (both an actual partial remnant of a roll of paper, and numerous cuttings from said roll that will not work for her cage) cardboard boxes and a grass hut for her but she is still more interested in my clothes (no one elses) and the aluminum foil around the water pan of the yucca plant than anything else. Well, those and attempting to jump on any surface higher than floor level. She is a good eater. I give her alfalfa and timothy or orchard grass and she devours both. currently I'm giving her kaytee juvenile bunny, but I'm planning a brand switch. I think I mentioned her mix in a different post but maybe not. Honestly, she's a mutt, but a known mutt maybe knowing her breed mix might not help (she's 1/2 american blue 1/4 satin 1/4 mini lop). I guess I was hoping knowing her weight at a certain age would give an idea of an adult weight. Honestly, it's only important for long term planning. I know she won't be little though.

Oh yea, all 3 breeds are medium-large. The range is from 6-12 lbs as an adult for those three breeds. I would definitely stay on a juvenile rabbit feed for 6-7 months. I understand Sherwood Forest and Oxbow both make good pellets for juniors.

Oh yea, all 3 breeds are medium-large. The range is from 6-12 lbs as an adult for those three breeds. I would definitely stay on a juvenile rabbit feed for 6-7 months. I understand Sherwood Forest and Oxbow both make good pellets for juniors.

Yeah, I saw the oxbow ones at a different pet store, I was disappointed I hadn't thought to check there for bunny supplies instead of petco, but she's going through the pellets pretty fast so I should be able to switch her soon. Thanks!

My rabbit Iris goes nuts for toilet paper tubes she loves to throw them about and gets crazy and binkys when she plays with them.

My rabbit Iris goes nuts for toilet paper tubes she loves to throw them about and gets crazy and binkys when she plays with them.

It's so funny you say that, I have been giving her toilet paper rolls, she's kind of "meh" about them. BUT, I had this roll of brown craft paper left over from my previous bunny, It's the inner portion so really curly. Was not an issue with the previous bunny since her cage was significantly bigger, but it's not working for this one. I was lazy and left the pieces I had cut on the floor. She has a blast with them! Of all the things SMH

Also I'd like to say that a bought my bunnies a ball from the dollar store meant for cats and they adore it.

Latest posts

Back