Trusted a vet big mistake

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bambii

Bambii
Reaction score
So i am so stressed out. I am new to the rabbit world so of course i find a professional for help. My blakey girl had a surprise litter. The kits just opened their eyes and wer born on Jan 2. I took blake to the vet to get a small check on her ears and was told it would be a good time to spay and the had this great promotion going blah blah. So i informed the vet she was nursing and she said it is fine that as long as the kits are passed the critical stage they will be okay. And to let them feed one by one while holding the mom jntil she heals... Is this true? My baby girl got spayed today and i am unsure now. Will she still produce milk?

I wouldn't have spayed her while she is nursing. You're very lucky she didn't die during the operation - there is an increased blood flow in the area considering she's producing milk and an increased risk of blood loss during the operation. Nursing will be very painful for her considering she was just cut open next to her nipples. For a spay in good conditions you should give meds to avoid infections (antibiotics) and to avoid pain (Metacam / meloxicam) for at least 5 days after the operation but if the doe is nursing you can't because it will go into the milk. The only case where the spay of a nursing doe is recommended is when there is a chance she is pregnant again (when the male was there while she gave birth). In your case, it was unecessary.
It's too late now, but you will have to monitor your poor girl closely - considering she can't be given pain meds there is a chance she will stop eating because of the pain (the combined stress of a first litter with the stress of the operation doesn't help) which would lead to GI stasis. Make sure she eats plenty of hay.
Also, find another vet. He could have killed your rabbit and I wouldn't trust a vet doing 'promotions' on operations anyway.

PS : don't forget to get the babies sexed by a knowledgeable vet when they are around 8 weeks old and to separate them as soon as it's done if you don't want any incestuous teenage surprise litters!

I would wait until the kits are fully weened. Kinder all round. Does your vet really know about bunnies. Ask around there may be a savy vet near you. What we did....investigated vets until we found one who knew what was what.

I hope everything is ok. You can always tell your vet (and even your own doctor for that matter) that you will think about it and go home and do your own research and get a second opinion. It sounds like your gut was right. It's ok, sometimes this happens and it's a good learning experience. Hope she does and her babies do well.

Whats said is she is known as the best rabbit savy vet in vegas :( blake has been eating and pooping normal. I stayed up all night watching her. And this morning i made the babies nurse one by one and and she allowed it. I do have her seperated for now for a couple days to let it heal.

i researched and asked all the questions but even with that i know i was sorta pressured into it. I literally layed in my rabbits area all night to watch her. She is drinking and pooping normally and today she has been very active hopping around and wanting to be around the other bunnies.

Sounds like she is going to be just fine. Yes it would have been best to wait until the kits are weaned however there is nothing you can do about it now.
There is no need for some of the replies I have read in this thread.

You should still be keeping her calm quiet and confined. Not just a couple day, more like 2 weeks.

You may need to ensure you have something on hand to bottle feed the kits just in case.

I agree that you should probably get some KMR or goat's milk to keep on hand just in case she stops nursing. They need mom's milk for at least 4 weeks. If you end up not needing it you can donate the KMR to a shelter.

Will do. I slept in a play pen with my baby girl and kept the babies seperate. I am currently at work but she is seperated so i am a nervous wreck right now

If the operation went well and that she accepts to nurse, it should be fine - don't stress too much about it now that it's done. I think it happens to all of us to accept the advice of professionals (doctors, vets and lawyers being the worse ^^) because we feel pressured by them and to regret it later. Just keep a close eye on everyone to be able to act fast should something go wrong but hey... at least she's spayed now so you don't have to worry about it anymore. Do you plan to keep any of the babies?

Latest posts

Back