Cancer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keiko

Reaction score
Ok I had to rewrite this 3 times cuz my device bugged so I'll make it quick.
I bough a 1 month old h. Lop. She is smart and beautiful but I was told after adoption that she'll die at half the lifespan she was advertised for if I don't spay her, which costs $400 where I live. Im already in debt.
- is this true ?
- is it true that she'll turn aggressive af if kept intact even if I discipline her? She's So sweet... I don't want that?
- WHY do websites do not say that females live much shorter if they don't undergo a very costly surgery! Everywhere it's "8-10 years" nowhere it mentioned females don't live like that unless you pay four times their original prices. As someone who cares about her pets but is in debt (yay school) and needs a bunny to help with her anxiety, I would've loved to have been told about this. Anyone here has some experience with intact does living 10 years? I'm having a nervous breakdown I wouldn't have bought a female if I wouldve been told it'd kill her!

Unfortunately, in my experience it is true. Intact females are often more aggressive, regardless of training and handling (keep in mind, every animal is an individual, and this is not 100% the case). And many females (I would venture to guess 75-80%) will either have uterine cysts or cancer, which is quite painful and often does kill them. My rabbits are all fixed, and the oldest rabbit I had died somewhere around 12 or older (adopted as an adult). I know many rabbits even older than 12! But, unfortunately, they are all fixed (I'm VERY pro-spay and neuter, so keep this in mind too while you read this).

While it is not a guarantee that she will die simply because she has a uterus and ovaries, it can cause many problems- particularly in rabbits.

She's only a month old, so start now by putting away money every month until you can afford it. She shouldn't get spayed until she's at least 6 months old anyway, and even then you can wait a bit longer til you have enough saved up. Also while you are saving, make sure you can line up a veterinarian that knows rabbits and can knowledgably and safely perform this very invasive surgery. For example with a spay surgery, the bunny MUST be sent home with pain medications. Don't let them tell you she doesn't need it. Also you need to have a game plan for what happens if she doesn't want to eat after. Be proactive, save and learn now. It's the best thing you can do for her. When I was getting my bunny spayed I read this and it really helped:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

You probably don't have done much research beforehand if you've taken a one month old, which is waaaay too young to be separated from the mother (you'll be lucky if your rabbit doesn't get weaning enteritis) and haven't seen that a female rabbit has to be spayed (because that is mentioned about everywhere, on every rabbit forum I've ever been as well as on the house rabbit society website).
- Yes, it's true. Cancer isn't the only problem, she can also get mastitis and infections
- You don't discipline a rabbit. Ever. You don't train it either. It's not a dog. Being agressive is not a given for a single unspayed doe (but it can happen, as well as very unfortunate behaviors like spraying urine everywhere on your walls and furniture and phantom pregnancies), but I think cancer is a good enough incentive to spay.
- The information is everywhere. I took my first rabbit in about 8 years ago and I found it on the first day of research. I advise you read the house rabbit society website for that and everything else - they are very reliable:
http://rabbit.org/
- No, I've never know an intact rabbit to live 10 years. I've known several intact rabbits dying horrifyingly of uterine and ovarian tumors, though. It's true spaying is expensive (I was a student when I took in my first rabbits too), but I wouldn't risk it. I know that some places exist where you can spay for a more reasonnable price, depending on where you live. You can probably discuss it with your vet and pay in installments or something. All animals cost a lot to take care of. They take ill and they need treatment, they need good quality food. A cheap maintenance animal is something that doesn't exist so, when you take one, you have to be prepared for the expense.

To give a little different perspective, yes you should spay/neuter your rabbit if it's a pet. It does help with hormonal behavior, too. That said, there are plenty of intact rabbits who live to way more than half their lifespan. Ours are intact because we show rabbits. We've retired a number of them at 6 years and placed them in pet homes, in good health. For the ones we were able to follow up on, they were fine in their new homes.

An intact doe isn't always mean and aggressive. We have a number of them who are laid back and just want a head scratch. Once they get past the 'teen age' years they usually (tho not always) settle down.

Watch her as she grows and if you can get her spayed then that's best, but don't believe everything you read.

- is this true ?
Not exactly. Read this:
http://buckysbunnies.tripod.com/UC.html

- is it true that she'll turn aggressive af if kept intact even if I discipline her? She's So sweet... I don't want that?
No. They have their moods, and if you keep more than one doe there is the possibility that hormone triggered aggression can occur. Normally it's about hiearchy, that can include you, but imho only temporary. (I have 3 pairs of unspayed girls)
Then there are those false pregnancies...

Next point: (Warning, this is my humble opimnion, there are a lot of others out there) Do not discipline her like you would do with a dog, imho that doesn't work. Just forget about disciplining at all, it doesn't work with rabbits.
Show your feelings, squeek, push her away if she bites or show the cold shoulder, but don't try to punish her.
Punishing her for being "aggressive"(-> human term) simply makes her think she was right and needs to make a point, or being terrorized and go into submission - both things you do not want.

Spend time with your rabbit, a lot, just let it be around you, and act normal.

You can train your rabbit to do things (search youtube for clicker training rabbit, or so), it sure is a lot of fun, and some things like handling and confronting with other people and animals (if feasable) reduce the overall stress level. First thing i train my rabbits is to return to their hutch after garden time.

- WHY do websites do not say that females live much shorter if they don't undergo a very costly surgery!
Because it isn't exactly true. But for pet rabbits, there are several reasons that wpould recommend spaying.

I live in an rural area, and the breeders around me keep their breeding does up to 8-10 years, at least those who do not focus on max. production, and those are not pampered pet rabbits. Well, I would not have heard much about does dieing before that age, and nobody does a necropsy, but anyway, be critical where you get information, some people reapeat scary numbers over and over because of their agenda.

Anyway, intact does have their moods, cravings, and so on, they may pee all over their territory sometimes, and my Fury started a tunnel straght into the wall, after 2" of plaster the bricks stopped her, well, you can live with that...

Last edited:
Getting her spayed will calm her down. It will help prevent infections and cancers. Its the infections or cancers that can have fatal consequences. It will help her stop being sexually frustrated. In england we have charities you can apply to to get the help you need. Are there any in your area??

Latest posts

Back