Rescuing rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyMini

Reaction score
Have been a member of the House Rabbit Society for a while, and am considering becoming more active in rescuing rabbits from unhealthy situations like the ones that are made to live outdoors, feces allowed to accumulate on the wire (terrible abuse) ,etc.

Here's a quote from one of the HRS members : (paraphrased and snipped for brevity)
M__V__ and I are pleased to announce a new addition to our warren. She was rescued from a testing lab. Our deepest thanks go out to S_____ M___ who fostered her, found a low-cost spay, saw her through the procedure, and got her to our area. He really went the extra mile to give her a loving home for a number of months and went through heck to find a way to get her spayed. We are so happy everything finally worked out. We also want to thank Y___ W__ of N___W______ who ended up providing the spay program and rescue support for the endeavor. T____H oople and G___ A___were also key in the whole effort to save these girls. In all, 6 were saved.

My two girls were rescued from a bad situation and one of them is missing a bit of fur on the 'heel' area of her rear foot. And yes, that indicates overcrowding and abuse.

If someone wants, I'll post photos.
I was told that they are three months old and are "Jersey Woolys" or crosses.

Are there any animal activists here at Rabbits Online ?
If so, welcome !
What are your opinions on rescue operations at labs or farms where rabbits are being mistreated ? Do you take action?
All opinions welcome to reply. :)

:runningrabbit:

I am an animal activist, however I don't rescue because a number of reasons that prevent me from doing so. I participate in ways I can.
I respect everyone that helps out animals, whether it be donating money, time, adopting/rescue, or just spreading the word.

All opinions welcome to reply.
smile.gif
Well....

If what you have in mind is speaking to people, educate them, and offer them a way to get rid of the bunny that is more work than they considered, or that bunnies are not their thing - ok, good thing. And with the right approach imho with a good chance that they will hand it over.

When it comes to trespassing, stealing, "rescueing" animals just because not everything fits your high, imho irrational standards - prepare for jail, or be carried off feet first. For example, I've motion alarms set, for fox and marten, so when they go off I come running with a shotgun, safety off, just have that in mind. I really care for my rabbits, don't do anything stupid.

Actually, the first people convicted under the new laws for terrorism here were ARAs.

Rabbits live very well outdoors, that is NOTHING bad. They do not get sick if the hutch or cage isn't completly clean (I'm not speaking about filthy conditions, rabbits sitting in their waste in too small cages without proper bedding), that's the invironment domestic rabbits were bred for, especially when it's outdoors and in moderate climate.

Just reading your post I have the impression that you need to learn a lot. That you are on this topic for the very wrong reasons, that are more about your righteous feelings and narrow ideas of wrong and right than about actual welfare of rabbits, of which you seem to have only a very narrow pet viewpoint.

But since my English is not perfect things may get lost in translation.

Last edited:
My two girls were rescued from a bad situation and one of them is missing a bit of fur on the 'heel' area of her rear foot. And yes, that indicates overcrowding and abuse.
:runningrabbit:

I would have do disagree with the fur missing thing. My own Brandy has some fur missing periodically on her feet (she sits hunched funny) and she has a 3 story cage to run in, an entire apartment when I or my boyfriend are home, and only shares the apartment (the cage is all hers) with a cat and one other rabbit (and of course her human servants!). Only the bottom of her cage is 'hard' (it's where the food, litterbox, hay, etc all go, so it's designed for easy clean up and is lined with newspaper)- the top two floors are carpeted AND covered with memory foam pads. So if that is abuse and overcrowding, I'd LOVE to know what else I can do to keep her feet healthy and covered in fur.

While I am all for rescuing rabbits (both of my rabbits were on euthanasia lists for being extremely 'aggressive' after abuse situations which went to court- one ended up with 111 counts of animal cruelty and life in prison!), please be careful what you consider abuse and what you do not (like Preitler said). I love when people are involved in local groups which do rescues, but I would not do any on your own- but that's just me.

What does everyone think of this post by christinelea1 :UGH.........PLEASE find an area to get bunnies IN out from MI freezing cold winters.
Last winter was the worst winter in many yrs and to leave ANY animal outside should have never happened.
PLz say your not doing that again.PLEASE say the bunnies made it without painful frost bite etc.

It sounds like she advocates rescuing rabbits from unhealthy situations if the owners are not responsible ? She thinks outdoor housing of rabbits is abuse ; as well as letting them be outdoors in winter -- because they easily get frostbite (according to christinelea1).

Also from another of her posts --I don't feel like I can 'play god' with animals-- and it's not right to breed and pick which ones should survive or not. Every life is important and must be saved.'

So, it must be alright to participate in rescues --where the owner allows rabbits to be left out in the winter ?

It looks like christinelea1 also participates in rescues, as in taking rabbits from bad situations and also getting rabbit rescues shut down that aren't treating them right (Little Miracles Rabbit Rescue). Just bringing this insightful poster up as she's one of your members ---- and seems to fit in with rabbits online mantra.

From cheistinelea1's post in the rescue thread :
I DO think alot of the anger "SCREAMING" could stop but I just want to say I understand it!
hey you think I was an ANGEL when the Muskegon Police brought the seven bunnies with their ears cut off?
WOAH!!
You should have heard MY BIG MOUTH!!(And for over a YEAR later even.....

Why did the LMRR cut off ears of rabbits ?

christinelea 1 has not been active on this forum for over 2 years. (Her last post was in 2014) She made roughly 300 total posts over 7 years time- 2014 and prior. (By way of comparison, Ravenous dragon has posted more than that in less than one year.)

I'm not sure why or how christinelea 1 would be considered representative of RO.
"Just bringing this insightful poster up as she's one of your members ---- and seems to fit in with rabbits online mantra."

I agree. One has to be very careful when 'rescuing' animals. There are legal ways to do things and the situation has to be assessed by competent people before any action is taken or you could find yourself in a lot of trouble. I don't know how it is in other countries but in France, animal activism (the hard one who goes with raids to 'free' animals) is also closely linked with neo-nazi / ultra-conservative groups. They can be really dodgy. One of my sisters was a part of amateurish softer rescue groups for a while and there were a lot of hoarders and people who clearly had real issues (also, the way the money was spend and the animals were placed wasn't very clear - you know : you 'saved' all those rabbits which cost you money and take time... and then you really really want them gone quickly, so what if you didn't say that Mopsie's teeth are crooked to the adoptant? And can't Mary 'push the walls' to save that poor kitten you found - so what if she has 36 cats in her flat already? I'm not even joking, there). I think rescuing animals is complicated because you need to take the animals, to forster them, to find money for the vet / the food for the animals you saved and then to find them a solid forever home which means people to interview the adoptant, sometimes to make a home visit and answer questions... to take the animal back if it doesn't go as planned. So, I'm all for animal rights and help abandonned / abused animals but done as part of a structured rescue / association which do things by the book, with knowledgeable people and vets involved.

I also agree with RavenousDragon about the missing fur under the paws. It can be caused by rabbits standing on wire or insanitary conditions. But not always. My Tybalt has that. He is free-ranged, has his own room in the house and is currently lying on a blanket. He cleans his paws badly and that's it. One of my previous rabbits had that too. He had bad posture. Aki lived with both of these rabbits and her paws are fine. Not saying your rabbits weren't in bad situations and it's nice for them that they were rescued, but well... sometimes missing fur is just missing fur ^^.

I don't know how it is in other countries but in France, animal activism (the hard one who goes with raids to 'free' animals) is also closely linked with neo-nazi / ultra-conservative groups. .

Interesting. Here extreme animal activism is usually associated with ultra-liberals -- not conservatives.

Just bringing this insightful poster up as she's one of your members ---- and seems to fit in with rabbits online mantra.

Our Mantra?

I'm sorry but your post makes no sense and really has nothing to do with the topic.
You seem to be aiming to start an argument or something here.
I will direct you to to our decorum and rule set and request you have a read before posting.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=10320

RO does not condone law breaking or any sort of rescue that involves stealing animals or tresspassing. If you have a concern about an animals welfare you should be contacting local authorities and animal welfare agencys. Do not take matters into your own hands.
And keep in mind not everyone has the same standards that you might and that does not mean yours are correct and others are incorrect.

Interesting. Here extreme animal activism is usually associated with ultra-liberals -- not conservatives.

Yes, that's funny! I thought it was the case in France too before I began to look into it. I was actually really surprised because it sounds like a liberal cause. Now I know : when someone put tons of posts about animals on his / her Facebook, I expect the pro-death penalty, anti-refugees and generally racists posts. They always come. It begins with 'Dogs are a man's best friend' and follows with 'why use animals to experiment on when we have pedophiles in prison?' :rollseyes
For us, one of the main 'faces' of animal activism is Brigitte Bardot (who was once one of our most famous actresses). She's got a big fondation for animals... she's also the face of racism and ultra-conservatism. You also get those groups of guys who are like paramilitary and will make raids in laboratories and stuff between two racist attacks (I can't find it again, but I saw videos with those big guys all in black with masks, acting like they were in World of Warcraft and getting out with guinea pigs after destroying the place... it was weird, creepy and kinda ridiculous too).

Yes, that's funny!
For us, one of the main 'faces' of animal activism is Brigitte Bardot (who was once one of our most famous actresses). She's got a big fondation for animals... she's also the face of racism and ultra-conservatism. .

I remember Bardot (moreso from her comical appearances on the Carol Burnett Show!). Interestingly, though, her wacked views could run both ways -- ultra conservative AND ultra liberal. Before endorsing a National Front (ultra-right) candidate, she had considered running for President herself with the Ecological Alliance (far left) party.

Here (US), extreme animal activism is linked with liberals. Conservatives are the ones that are more prone to have hunting licenses, enjoy the outdoors and wildlife, and are fine with eating meat (so they aren't extreme animal activists).

I guess political labels are not uniform across various countries. A single label can conjure up totally different visions in different countries.

Honestly I'm thinking I'm in the wrong forum.
Will go and look for one more geared to the ideas I'm gleaning from the House Rabbit Society and other rad. rescue sites.
(Not that there isn't a lot of helpful information on this site for rabbit care and housing. There is.)

So, like no offence or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back