Normal or in pain?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
My rabbit got spayed on Thursday at a rabbit savvy vet. I didn't pick her up until Saturday morning (bc of my schedule). The vet tech told me she wasn't eating well and only pooping small poops, so she took me in the back and showed me how to syringe feed her. And she gave me instructions on how often. Also to give her cisapride q8hrs. My bunny was not a happy camper when she was trying to syringe feed her, which is not from her normal personality.

I just brought her home. And I heard her grind her teeth a few times. It hasn't even been an hour but I'm worried she is in pain. They didn't sent me home with any pain meds.

So I guess I'm asking if this is ok. Is she in pain or is this normal? I don't know how many days of pain meds they usually get, I wish I asked when I was at the vet.

Visually she doesn't look like she's in pain. She just layed out and looks comfy. But the sound of teeth grinding is worse than nails on a chalkboard to me.

So it's been about an hour. She is eating a little hay. She still grinds her teeth every once in a while. She seems to be doing well.

Teeth grinding is usually a sign of pain (or happiness, but that is usually when you are petting them). She might be in pain from the GI issues, rather than the spay though. I would keep an eye on her and make sure she's eating (as I know you already are :) ). Hopefully, being home is really all she needs to get back to eating and being a happy rabbit.

In terms of pain medication, some vets send some home, some don't. It depends on what was used post surgery. I think most commonly, if pain medications are sent home, it's for about 5 days post surgery. Keep syringe feeding her for sure until she eats a normal amount on her own. Most rabbits HATE being force fed- even if they are generally very pliant with everything else.

Keep us updated!!

I would phone the vet asking about pain management. Grinding her teeth while not being petted and not eating a lot is not normal, especially not several days after the operation. My vet always gives Metacam (meloxicam) for about 5 days, like RavenousDragon said, after a spay or a neuter (he makes an injection for the first day). I never had a rabbit not eating for more than 12 hours after the operation (in my experience, bucks eat as soon as they wake up and it's a bit harder for does). A spay is a pretty big operation and quite traumatic too. Staying at the vet might not have helped with the stress, which could maybe explain the lack of appetite, but a rabbit in pain is a big no-no if you don't want GI stasis on your hand.
A rabbit laying out might be pressing her belly on the ground because it hurts. Rabbits don't really show outwards signs of pain. Generally, they just eat less. When it gets worse, they will take the 'hen' position or lay down, grind their teeth and then stop eating. Is your rabbit hopping around normally?
Maybe your rabbit will settle down and that it's just the stress of it all. Still, a phone call can't do no harm - if I were you, I would do it just so I don't spend the day stressing about it ^^. And if she's still grinding her teeth and not eating much tomorrow, insist to be given Metacam. It really can't hurt and you'll probably be able to buy it at the counter without having to bring your rabbit.

Thanks. She's doing better. Eating hay and kale and drinking water. Poop looks better but not perfect.

OK, that's good news. Poop can take a few days to go back to its normal appearance. As long as she's eating hay and vegetables, it should be fine.

Thanks. I'm new to this so I appreciate Input.

I'm trying to find the balance which is hard. I want her to eat obviously but she prefers kale over hay. She is still munching on hay so I'm happy. The vet told me to syringe feed her 3x a day. Today I'm going to do it 2x because she is eating better. The syringe feeding and medication is so stressful for her (and me). She is so feisty. And is now trying to bite to get away. Her poop is not as much as I want, but I think I'm expecting too much. Her hair is getting matted, I cut a lot of it off today.
Ahhh I have a new found respect for those who take in sick/sheltered rabbits and nurse them back to health.

A couple questions...
After spay, is 7-10days of staying in a cage right?
Cisapride. My vet said .06cc every 8 hrs for 10 days. Doesn't that seem like a long time? So should I just go by her bowl and eating habits?

Latest posts

Back