Males or females?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Photobucket to post pics as well. The way I find works best is to click the "Insert Image" icon above the message window here (looks like a mountain with a sun) and it will ask you for a URL. Use the "Direct" URL in Photobucket, copy/paste into the Insert Image box. This will post your photo here, and it's nice and big and easier to see. Here's a sample from my pics (I can't share yours):

2017-01-13%2010.38.55_zpsrsaoinhp.jpg

Re the sexes, I'm not sure exactly which pics you're asking about, but most appeared female to me. I found this site was very helpful when I was learning how to sex rabbits. The rule of thumb is that the female genital opening is shaped like a teardrop and does not protrude very far when you press the vent area. The male opening is round and protrudes further. The site provides some good pics to refer to.

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/sexing-rabbits.html

I'm guessing these are baby bunnies? They're harder to sex.
First of all, as a disclaimer, I am not a breeder and my experience with sexing is limited. Others may disagree with my opinion here.

From what my old eyes can tell, the first pic looks female. #2 looks female to me (teardrop shape) but the light isn't the best. #3 has the classic female teardrop shape. #4 is a bit blurry, hard to tell. I see the teardrop, but there's what looks like a bit of protrusion as well. If I could see from the side I'd have a better idea. On a male, the penis looks like a little tube with a circular tip that protrudes noticeably. Girls always have a teardrop shape with a slit instead of a round, circular opening, and it's a lot flatter. They look very similar to a female cat.

Usually when I sex them, I roll my fingers around a bit as I'm pressing on the vent, to get a better view of how far the genitals protrude, and I view them from a few angles. I wear a head lamp so that the light is better. You'll notice in the sample pics on the website I posted, they show the males from the side so you can see how far the penis protrudes. Try looking again, paying close attention to how far the genitals protrude and the shape of the opening at the tip. Those are the two things that show it's male: protrusion (like a little tube) and a circular opening - not a slit or a teardrop.

They are 8-10 weeks old and verry wiggly and they are as poped out as i could get them (was kinda rough with the, but didnt want to hurt them im supposed to have 1 male 3 females but i feel like i have 2 of each

I see the first two as female the third as male and the last one is hard to see. I don't know if the photo is not in focus or the lighting is weird but I just can't really tell one way or the other

F-F-M-M

Although the last pic isn't the best I'm 90% sure, the distance between penis and anus is much bigger than it is at does, also, using Gimp to add some contrast, I think I can see a clear circular opening.

two does, two bucks.

In the first two pictures you will see a red line on either side of the vent.

Red lines = doe (female)

The last two pictures are clearly male. No red lines PLUS they protude in a tube shape.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back