Rabbit Show Jumping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this?! It's really a thing. It's like horse show jumping but with rabbits. Apparently they've been doing these over 20 years in Sweden. I found these accidentally on YouTube. They are fun and sometimes hilarious to watch! Does anyone out there do these in person? Would love to hear how you train your rabbit and also if you fly with the rabbit to competitions.

I really want to try this with Whiskey- he's got the energy and the intelligence. Unfortunately humans are terrifying to him still (he is still slowly getting better, but any time a stranger moves quickly, he gets scared still). If anyone has any information about how to get ahold of props, etc, I'd love to hear!

I got a couple jumps to train my first rabbit with. I didn't get very far, though, as I got him a companion and have been working on more basic training like not chewing carpet, using stairs, logic boards, etc.

You can get decent jumps for $20-30. It's a great item to have around to work on with your rabbits and get them some exercise and training. I got one jump from Ebay, and one from the BunnyApproved site. (Is linking to external sites against the TOS here?)

A few years ago I was on a rabbit forum from the UK (golden bunny) and a lot of members did rabbit agility. I think it's more of a thing in the UK (I remember a Burgess annual competition - you can find videos on Youtube) and in some eastern european countries like Sweden / Finland. I even heard of people breeding for that specific purpose, mixing belgian hares with other big breeds to get rabbits with better jumping abilities.
It's not at all a thing in France, but we are very much behind when it comes to rabbits as pets even though a lot of progress was made in the past 10 years.

I've seen this online but never in person. Jumps could be made out of PVC pipe. I have thought about trying to train one or more of my rabbits, but haven't tried it yet.

You can use just about any breed for agility...just depends on the activity level of the rabbit. The running breeds are typically easier since they're known for being active. You can make simple jumps to start your rabbit out on, using dowels from the hardware store. I've seen jumping exhibitions at some of the rabbit shows, and my daughter even tried it with a couple of her Tans.

Show jumping a rabbit with no leash?! This is so cool. Love the rabbits attutude too! I can see my Harvey acting like this: running the course backwards, heading out the exit, and just generally messing with people.
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NxwSCxIzXNM[/ame]

What mystifies me are the lops. Those breeds always look so lazy and blob-like, but they dominate the exhibitions I've seen. Wow can those guys jump!

My dwarf lops were always lazy, but they sure can jump high! I've had a lop that I was always finding on top of the piano, chest of drawers and all the furniture... At first I couldn't believe how high he could jump with no run-up, he wasn't that big either (about 1,7 kilos), but there was no place high enough to keep the vegetables safe from him ^^.

Show jumping a rabbit with no leash?! This is so cool. Love the rabbits attutude too!

That is awesome!

I hope this kind of thing gets more popular in the US. I'd love to go to some of these shows, if only as a spectator.

This is something that has always amazed and interested me! I actually began training Missy to compete in these competitions, but alas, there are none held near my area. However, I do think it would make a great party trick....

Latest posts

Back