URGENT- Bun is half paralyzed, should I put her down?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niftynamething

Reaction score
Hey guys. First time posting so I apologize if I break any rules.
I rescued my Netherland dwarf rabbit 7 years ago from a breeder who wanted to break her neck. She was a victim of a stressed out mommy who ate her litter and proceeded to eat my rabbit too, so she's missing her ears and has a stubby leg. Breeder thought she'd never sell. She's always had a ton of health problems and we've had a lot of vet visits, but she's worth it. :)
The past few months have been difficult. Shes lost a ton of weight and started drooling but recovered. Then she started having these mini seizures when stressed out. Before I could get it checked out, I think she had a stroke and lost function of half her body. Hear me out- she rests on her stubby leg (painful) because her other good leg is paralysed. One arm is fine, but she drags the other one under her body. She circles around to not fall over or leans on things just to stand. She isn't able to clean herself anymore, so I always have to do it and it REALLY stresses her out. I came home once and found her laying on her side, just motionless. I got her up and she started eating like normal.. She's clearly frustrated with her disability, poor thing probably doesn't even know why her limbs don't work. She hasn't relaxed fully (laid down with her limbs out) in MONTHS. She looks so uncomfortable. This made me think that maybe it's better she doesn't suffer like this.
Her personality however is completely normal however. She eats a lot, cuddles with me, tries to run around.
Im so heartbroken because her body is just letting her down and I can't do anything to help her. How do I justify maybe putting her down when she's still the same bun I always knew? It's not like she stopped moving or eating or anything.. I really don't know what to do. What would you guys do?

This is completely up to you. You know your bunny, you know if she is happy or in pain, and how often. Personally I think I would given the information you provided. It's tough...
I am so sorry you have to go through this and make this difficult decision.

Like Katiecrna says, you know your bun. Just remember, the greatest gift we can give our animals is a peaceful death when it is time. It sounds like she was VERY very lucky to have you for so long and that you will know if she is suffering. <3 I know personally that both of my rabbits would be miserable if they could not move, and so I would euthanize if one of mine were in a similar situation.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but it does for me, so I am so so sorry if it doesn't, but here is why I want to euthanize all of my pets come time. Animals (based on stress hormone levels, behavior changes, etc.) have no notion of death, only of pain. They do not conceive of tomorrow the way we do (we think of the future lost as time lost, but animals don't ever think of 'tomorrow' just today). Although animals are very good at telling the current time, they have no idea what 1 hour from now means, until that time hits. So by euthanizing, we are not taking anything away from them (like we would for a human), except that they fall asleep, feel no more pain, and pass on. Obviously, I would NEVER advocate for euthanizing a happy animal for any reason, but when an animal is in pain and there is no solution, I tend to push for euthanasia.

We have had over 40 rescues so we have had to deal with this several times. I've helped my bunnies as much as I could and probably should have moved a little quicker, but it just tears my heart up to have to say goodbye. But there comes a time when the quality is no longer there and you are doing a kindness even if it fractures your heart. You just have to close your eyes and picture all the good times.

What is her vets opinion on her condition? Is there anything that could help her? Such as some painkillers if she's a bit sore, even though she's still paralysed she may be quite happy for some time if pain is managed. You say she is still happy, eating well and trying to move about, she just looks uncomfortable. She may just need some painkillers. Obviously she'll still need close care from you to keep her clean etc, but that doesn't necessarily mean that her quality of life is so poor that she should be euthanised.

Think Appetite: does she still want to eat/show enthusiasm for eating?
Attitude: Is she still interested in the world around her? Exploring, sniffing, showing alertness at sounds? Does she still attempt to groom?
Affection: Is she still affectionate towards you?

You say she is having mini seizures when she is stressed out, and when you have to clean her it really stresses her out, so is she having these seizures daily? I would definitely get a veterinary opinion before making my decision and see if you can reasonably manage her care, afford it, and give her some quality of life. Also I know there was an awesome thread on here somewhere on living with disabled rabbits, maybe look that up too and give it a read. Lucky bunny to have a pal like you, and good luck and keep us posted.

I think you are the best person to know if your rabbit has had enough or not. There are solutions to improve her living conditions (on this forum, someone made a post about caring about a disabled rabbits a few weeks ago, you should find it easily using the search - it had good tips). It's hard to tell without seeing the bunny, but if she were mine, I probably would euthanized. Being in constant pain and stressed out, unable to clean yourself and risking falling over and getting stuck in the position for hours until someone comes home, is not something I would wish on myself or others. I personally advocate the right to die with dignity for animals as well as humans and I think sometimes, a little too early is better than a little too late. Nevertheless, it's a very personal decision and I understand why some people would chose to keep their pet alive for as long as possible. I think it also depends on the animal themselves, some of them have a better tolerance for pain than others. You have to watch your rabbit closely to try and see if she feels like it's time. In any case, I would be generous with painkillers, as at this point the fact that she suffer as little as possible is the main thing (think palliative care).
It's a horrible decision to make and the saddest part of owning a pet, but you gave a her great life so I'm sure you'll know when to do it.
I'm very sorry this is happening to you both.

Latest posts

Back