Runny nose and fur loss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pukeypuppy

Reaction score
Hi, I've never posted here before so I'm sorry if there were formatting mistakes or anything I didn't know about. I have a Holland lop that will be 5 in the spring. For a few months she's had snuffles and there have been flare ups where she sneezes and gets a watery/mucousy eye and the vet told me to give her baytril. Today her eye was pretty watery so I washed it off with a cloth and all the hair around her nose/eye just came out. She didn't look like she was in pain because she didn't pull away so I don't think it hurt her. There is no hair loss anywhere else, only on the spots that her eye watered on.

I'm also not sure if the baytril worked because my mom couldn't afford it anymore and we had to stop the use and the symptoms have not changed at all. Does anyone have any experience with these problems or advice? She doesn't seem to have any changes in personality or eating/drinking, she just has a runny nose and watery eye.

Sorry for the late reply! Snuffles can take a lot of work to treat, and possibly can become resistant to the Baytril. The hair loss could be simply due to being chronically wet (it weakens hair to always be wet). How does the eye itself look? If you can afford it, a vet really should see her if she's not getting better. Snuffles is deadly if left untreated long enough (and can be even if you do treat it!).

I ended up taking her to the vet! They gave me oral medicine and ointment for her eye. I haven't been at home since Friday and I got it on Thursday, but told my parents to give it to her. I don't know if the snuffles has improved but it seemed like the watering stopped after using the ointment for one day!

Actually, the symptoms can indicate several things. Yes, it can be a pasteurella but with a weepy eye and a runny nose, it could very well be a dental problem (an overgrown root pressing against a sinus).
Did the vet analysed the mucus and take an x-ray to check?
If it is a pasteurella, it is really hard to treat but there are several antibiotics that can be used and even penicillin G (in injections only!) can be tried in some cases. It is really important to keep the environment spotless and to avoid dust to keep the crisis under control.

It could be a dental problem, if it continues I will try to bring that up with the vet. I found something online that said lop ears are more prone to weepy eyes because of the way their sinuses are structured (or something along those lines) so I just assumed it was that, but it has completely stopped since I used gentamicin.

What is her diet like? Lots of hay is very important in preventing dental issues (although not all dental issues) with these rabbits. I would assume the vet (hopefully) looked at her teeth with a speculum at least when you first brought her in?

She always has hay, and I give her 2-3 cups of spinach and lettuce a day. Honestly I'm not sure if the vet looked at her teeth, I've always just dropped her off and came back later and they are always so busy I never got to talk to the vet that saw her. I'm really hoping that I won't have to bring her in again, and I don't think I'll have to because she seems like she's doing a lot better but if I do I will definitely try to bring up a dental problem. I'm just worried that she's going to do a lot better just for the few days that she is on antibiotics and then get worse again once she's off :-(

The possible dental problem would be a root problem, so it can occur even if she eats hay. What about changing vet? Just dropping the rabbit at the vet and not talking to the vet who examines her is plain weird and improductive. I've never heard of a vet who worked like that. I mean, a rabbit can't talk so it's really important that the owner stays to discuss the problem with the vet and gives all the details (you can even write down everything before going to the vet, because everyone tend to forget things when you are talking with the vet). Examining the teeth is absolutely imperative in a case like that. Maybe it's not the problem, but you need to make certain because if it is it has to be treated quickly (the root will continue to grow and cause more problems along the way).

By the way, you shouldn't give spinach everyday, it's full of oxalate. You need to have about 5 different vegetables a week (about 8% of the rabbit's weight everyday, with 2/3 leafy greens and 1/3 hard vegetables) and to try not to give exactly the same from one week to another (there are more or less diversity depending on the season, granted). Giving always the same things increases the risks of vitamin deficiencies and of kidney problems. To give you an example, this week, mine have Batavia, carrot, parsnip, celery, parsley and Jerusalem artichoke.

Okay thanks! And yeah, they have a form to write all of the problems down but I haven't talked to the actual vet about them. The vet itself is connected to an animal shelter for cats and dogs so I kind of feel like it's more geared towards those animals and spaying/neutering/vaccines but someone recommended it to me for a low cost vet. I didn't know that it was abnormal to just drop a pet off and pick them up later because I've never had a pet of my own before my rabbit to be honest, but I think I'm going to look around for other vets if the problem isn't solved with the medicine! Thank you for giving advice by the way!

Latest posts

Back