My Lop ate a piece of tinsel-what do I do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowismylop

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and am grateful I found out. We have a 1 1/2 year old Holland Lop named Shadow and she was running around our family room this morning. We didn't put tinsel on the tree this year because of her, but there must have been a piece from last year stuck on an ornament. Well, she ate it. Is there anything I can do? Could this kill her? She is actually my 9 year old daughter's pet and we love her dearly. Please let me know.

Thanks!
April

How long of a piece?
Tinsel isn't a toxic concern but can create a linear foreign body. This is when an animal eats something string-like (thread, dental floss, fishing line, rope toy pieces, etc.) and as it moves its way through the intestines plicate (bunch up like an accordian) around it. This can also lead to the string slicing through the intestines.
I'd give your vet a call or visit.

That's a real seasonal question ^^. Unfortunately, rabbits have the nasty habit of eating things they shouldn't. Generally, it's fine. The only concern in this case is the one raised by missycove (and it's not a purely bunny related concern, it happens to dogs quite often, as they also have a tendancy to eat anything). Honestly, if it was a small piece of tinsel, that your rabbit is moving normally (not staying hunched or pressing her belly to the floor and / or grinding her teeth which are all signs of pain), eating and pooping normally (I would clean the litterbox so you can monitor how much she poops and if it looks normal), the rabbit is probably OK. If you have the slightest doubt, go to the vet quickly (and explain the problem to the secretary, insisting that you need to see someone ASAP)

Latest posts

Back