Urgent constipated bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesol

Reaction score
Ok. So. I know what GI stasis is, but this appears different. He is eating. And trying his hardest to poo, but the poo is oversized therefore, he pushes and pushes and it is hardly moving, I helped him a little bit and e poo is like as thick as a baby carrot almost, and nearly as long. Any thing I can do to help him pass these quicker and easier? Thought it was standard GI stasis at first so I gave him subq fluids and simithecone with some metacam, then a few hours later I saw this monstrosity of a poo peaking its head out with my little boy contracting his tummy and pushing. :(

Is he drinking much? You can try to help the process by syringe feeding water which will help soften the stool. However force feeding during GI Stasis when a blockage hasn't been ruled out can be dangerous. Hopefully this single poop is the only one, but if he's still showing discomfort after he has passed it I would see a vet in case there is more. A poop that size can easily slow down the gut too much or cause a blockage. Also, once he's passed it, it would probably be worth breaking it open to see if there is anything inside (foreign material he has ingested or fur). Either that or take it to the vet with you.

Edit: as an additional note, how long have you had him and what colour is he?

If you haven't so already stop feeding pellets, and have him only eat hah and veggies. Make sure he is drinking, force feed him water if you have to.
Constipation is caused by illness, blockage, diet. But if it continues it will cause GI stasis.
If it hasn't gotten better just take him to the vet so they can x-ray him. Good luck!

He's da opted a few pieces but it appears it is even bigger :( he is a Himalayan dwarf. I've been forcing water, crit care, subq fluids if he refuses water, no pellets just hay, and it's still not passing, giving him simethecone too

Maybe he swallowed something that he couldn't digest and it's causing a blockage at his anus and stool can't pass by. How long has this been going on for? Does he look like he's in pain?

If you haven't already been to the vet, I would suggest doing that. It's impossible for us to know what might be going on and if it might be an emergency situation. Seeing a rabbit savvy vet is your best option. If you've already been to the vet prior to your posting, I would suggest phoning them for advise as to whether or not to bring your bun back in.

I hope you went to the vet. Rabbits' guts are not something to be taken lightly and a blockage, no matter the cause, can end up with bacteria multiplying and the death of the rabbit very quickly (I'm talking 24-48h here). Keep us posted, but if the issue is not solved and that you haven't, I advise you to go to the vet immediately, asking for an emergency consultation. That's what I would do. Simethicone is for gas, it won't help if something is stuck. Metacam is good for the pain, but it is known to cause constipation on occasion, so I wouldn't give that without consulting a vet. It's possible the thing might need to be extracted manually and I wouldn't try that myself.
I hope your rabbit is OK!

Is it me or do you commonly have problems with your buns butts/sex organs? I was just reading your previous posts and found a common theme. Maybe there is something you can do to prevent these issues from happening seeing how your buns appear to be prone to these issues.

Latest posts

Back