Rabbit Hutch (Rug)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitAsh

Reaction score
So, I'm creating a 2 story wooden hutch with my father. We are trying to figure out the safest carpet/rug/blanket for Ash. He chews on everything; it's very hard to find carpet for him. Also, is this ramp to steep for him?

image.jpg

It is a little steep. I used steps instead of a ramp and found it works great. As for flooring, it's so highly dependent on the individual bunny. Some can have carpet, some can't, some can have fleece, or foam puzzle tiles, rubber mats etc. There's a lot of options but it gets difficult with a chewer.

I agree with the idea of using steps. Just a block or two would do it.

Is your bunny neutered? If not, that could be causing excessive chewing. Neutered buns may not be as inclined to chew carpet.

You could also consider some specific types of rolled linoleum. There are a few types that are more than just "textured." The average texture is still slippery. But there are some linoleum types that are rough. They feel like a brick or almost like sandpaper. Those will have grip but can't be chewed (if edges are covered). If you use that for the flooring, then you can always add pet beds or fleece or even carpet on top.

Thanks for both replies/advice. I will probably have to make renovations (Ramp) so that it will be easier. But I'm not sure about steps. What about grips? Will those do?

Anyways, he isn't neutered, but I will do it soon (Before we move him into the new cage). I found some material that's soft but flat; so that should be fine.

But I'm not sure about steps.

Just a box will do. A single box (possibly two) is all that would be needed to allow bunny to hop up. I'm going to attach a photo of an old cage of ours so you can see what a cage looks like without any ramps. Bunnies can just hop right up.

IM000411.jpg

Just a box will do. A single box (possibly two) is all that would be needed to allow bunny to hop up. I'm going to attach a photo of an old cage of ours so you can see what a cage looks like without any ramps. Bunnies can just hop right up.

Alright. Thanks :)

On a more serious note, I'm still having trouble finding the right kind of flooring for my hutch. Right now, there is just wood. What is the best kind of flooring for any rabbit?

We use rolled up lenolium for the bottom floor of our cages, and carpet for the top two floors (the bottom floor is where litterbox, water, food, hay, etc. go- we wanted it easy to clean!). Neither of ours chew much carpet, so that was easy for us. Our ramps are similar to that angle, but we have raised bits of carpet on them to make little grips/stairs for them. Needless to say, these are young buns (2 and 4 years old) who have no joint problems, mobility issues, etc. We expect to have to adjust when they get older.

I did notice my one rabbit getting (extremely mild) pododermatitis on the carpet we had, so we also put in a bunch of memory foam kennel pads for them and that cleared up the issue right away! But only one of my rabbits tries to chew them. So if he's an excessive chewer, I'm not sure how well they would hold up.

Hi,

New here from Australia. I have just checked the photos and the idea you used to made the boxes. The photos are nice and I like the way you did this. I am also unable to find the rug. Could you please check for me http://www.elanlinen.com.au/rugs they have huge collection of rugs but they are used for the home decor purpose. Could I use in the boxes?

Regards,

Latest posts

Back