any vaccum recomendations? For hay on the carpet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherv

Reaction score
I use a broom and dustpan to sweep up what i can in Buster's cage but all the hay on the carpet...it's never ending. My vaccuum is losing suction and can't grab the hay pieces embedded in the carpet. Looking for suggestions of a good brand?

I have a Miele that works great for smaller pieces of hay and shavings but doesn't work great on fur. So for my rugs I have a Dyson animal. Works like a dream for fur and dust but not great for those bigger pieces. I can't live without my two vacuums unfortunately!

i have a dyson vacuum. it works REALLY good, we've gone through so many vacuums, the dyson is the only one that actually works good. I prefer to not use a vaccuum in the bunny room, just be cause it will probably scare my rabbit really bad, i usually use the broom and dustpan, i swipe all the hay and bits of other stuff on to the tile then sweep it up there. but if you know your rabbit won't get scared of a vacuum then i'd look into 'Dyson' vacuums.

We have a large shop vac which works great on hay and large stuff as it's hard to clog up--also works very well inside hutches. After I clean with the shop vac, I use our ancient hoover for the carpet as it handles small stuff great but hay will clog the hose--2 steps to clean the carpet.

How big is your carpet? My house is all hardwood floors and I have a large area rug and that's it. I bought a hand held cordless black and decker vacuum that is a god send since I've gotten a rabbit. It picks up poop and small bits of hay really nice. I just have to pick up the large pieces of hay. It's portable and super easy to just take out and do a quick run through with this vac without getting a huge vaccum out and plugging it in and blah blah. It's so convenient.

It depends on how much you want to spend. And also do you want a handheld cordless or a full plug in traditional vacuum.

ea38866eed9ecec26159b516e9219361.png

Best thing I ever bought. I'm sure the dyson handheld is better but I don't have that kind of money right now. This was cheap and works well.

I use a broom and dustpan to sweep up what i can in Buster's cage but all the hay on the carpet...it's never ending. My vaccuum is losing suction and can't grab the hay pieces embedded in the carpet. Looking for suggestions of a good brand?

I'm looking for a vaccum that can pick up the (it seems endless) tiny pieces of hay that are all over the carpet. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with busters cage consuming the middle of the living room...there's plastic pans cover the bottom but those are on top of and surrounded by carpet...so all the hay particles get tracked around really easy. Or if we pull out hay to feed him the hay gets everywhere. I can sweep and and pick up the big pieces. But it's never ending..they seem to dig into the carpet... preferably not a handheld but also bagless.

Last edited:
We use a hoover pet vacuum for ours and it seems to work VERY well. The big pieces, of course, need to be picked up by hand. But it seems to pick up the small dust and such very well. It was kind of pricey, but with our three messy pets, it was a good investment.

Latest posts

Back