Breeding my Commercial Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimf93

Reaction score
I raise my rabbits for food, and I have 3 breeder females to 1 buck. I've had them for about 2 months and observed them in separate cages to make sure there wasn't any surprise pregnancies. This week I decided I would breed one on a semi-intensive schedule. But the problems that have occurred are troublesome. My females are not taking to the male and lifting for him. I try every morning and watch closely. I take the female out when they start thumping their feet. Am I doing something wrong?
The females ages are thus: 8 months, 8 months, 1 year.

The buck is 1 year

Advice would be amazing.

You don't say what breed you have, but they should be old enough to breed, even if it's a Flemish. You have a couple of options if the does aren't cooperating. I tried a couple of times to breed in the mornings and gave up and now do it in the evenings instead. I'm not saying they won't ever do it in the mornings, but for me, I have better luck later in the day. Also, do you have the buck next to the does, or in between the does' cages? Sometimes having them close can help get them in the mood. I've also read that a little apple cider vinegar in the does water can help with mood, though I can't attest to it. Failing all else, you could table breed.

Latest posts

Back