Andy's neuter!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMiniRex

Reaction score
Today i'm bringing Andy to this animal rescue to get neutered.
but i have a few questions:
what should i expect when i bring Andy home?(will he be tired, not use the litterbox etc.) will he act weird when he gets home? (wanting to be left alone, aggressive/shy etc.)
what did you do when you brought home your recently neutered/spayed bunny? (any advice, tips etc.)

It definitely depends on the meds they use (e.g. pain and anesthesia drugs) for being tired, but he probably won't be aggressive or shy or anything. I've never had any of my rabbits act like that after being fixed. He might be a little sleepy (it's a BIG day). The most important, as I'm sure you already know, is to make sure he's eating. Also, make sure his cage/area is clean and ready for him. Neuters are pretty minimally invasive, and so he should be up and back to normal very quickly. If he's handlable enough, I would check the area 1-2 times per day, just to make sure there is no inflammation or infection.

Send him my love for a speedy recovery!

@RavenousDragon
Andy just got home, surgery went fine, thankfully. Andy is now resting in his cage, he's SUPER sleepy. They told me to try to keep feeding him as usual, but when I gave him and apple leaf he took only a small nibble (usually loves them) he has no interest in hay, and won't eat any vegetables, which I can probably expect because he's so tired.
They also sent me home with metacam (1.5 mg/ml) two syringes saying to give him tomorrow and Wednesday.

Andy has started arching his back and sticking his a bottom in The air?? Sometimes in the middle of his cage he looks like he's peeing but....theres no pee? Should I be concerened

He could just be sore or have some discomfort (if the pain meds are doing their job, then there could just be discomfort, not necessarily pain). Is he eating? By now he definitely should be eating some. If not, you should be concerned.

Yes I was surprised, last night he jumped in his litter box and ate some hay, but he has been pooping A LOT outside of the litter box. I have to give some metacam later today (its honey flavor, so everything should go well lol)

Went well! Just one more tomorrow and he'll be good. Just have to wait for his 'area' to heal up and he'll be able to play outside of his cage! (One day, I want to get him a Buddy ;) )

How do I keep andy entertained in a 3x4 ft dog crate till Tuesday? He REALLY wants to get out, but vet said not until Tuesday :/

My favorite 'toy' is to get a toilet paper cardboard thing and put their breakfast (about 6 pellets) and a bunch of hey in it and close the ends. It's like a box they have to open! Keeps my busy boy Whiskey occupied for about 30 minutes (not even dog puzzle toys keep him busy for that long, he figures them out in about 2 seconds).

ok... i know andy's hormones haven't fully died down, but when do they? i heard andy making that noise when he wants to mount just yesterday..?

Latest posts

Back