Pregnant, now not using litter tray

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KellieAnne

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new here and am after some advice if any of you may have some tips for me.
I have a female Netherland dwarf bun who recently was mated.
Since that day, she no longer uses her litter tray AT ALL.
She use to be great and would only toilet in her tray, but since becoming pregnant, she now toilets all around her cage as well as behind her bed.
I have tried to scoop up her droppings and place them in the tray to encourage her to use it, but this didn't work.
I've placed her litter tray in the areas where she has chosen to toilet, but this hasn't worked either.
I'm going through so much bedding because I'm having to do complete cleans of her cage everyday.
Does anyone have any ideas for me as to what I can do to get her using her tray again? I don't want to have to be bothering her with complete cleans everyday when she had a new litter of kits.

Cheers,
Kellie

It could just have to do with her changing hormones and feeling the need to mark her area, and if so there isn't much you can do but try and manage it the best you can until she delivers. If it is just pregnancy hormones, then after she delivers her kits her litter habits should go back to normal. If they don't, or she starts dribbling urine, getting a urine soaked bum, or there is blood in her urine(post pregnancy), then there could be a medical issue involved such as a UTI or possibly even rabbit syphilis. But even post pregnancy she could still have issues getting her litter box habits back until the babies are weaned and she is no longer nursing.

Latest posts

Back