Online resourses of rabbit care ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
A friend of mine is asking where online she can read general info about taking care of pet rabbits. I have had mine for many years, I don't even remember any resources I used when I was a novice. Though I would find them sticky here but I am not finding much.
Please help!

Update: found articles in the Library...

thank you RavenousDragon and Azerane!
She also would like to ask recommendation regarding gender choice. She wants to take 2 bunnies from the same litter. Breeder suggests that she takes 2 girls so that she doesn't have to worry about unwanted pregnancy and says that my friend won't even need to fix them. I think 2 unfixed females will be unhappy together due to unsatisfied "basic instinct"
I suggest that she either takes 2 boys and fix them, or a boy and a girl and fix them.

What would you say?

I don't know about the unsatisfied basic instinct, but rabbits are very susceptible to uterine cancers so fixing them can avoid high vet bills, pain and early death.
I would take a girl and boy and fix them both, just to be able to observe the differences.

thank you RavenousDragon and Azerane!
She also would like to ask recommendation regarding gender choice. She wants to take 2 bunnies from the same litter. Breeder suggests that she takes 2 girls so that she doesn't have to worry about unwanted pregnancy and says that my friend won't even need to fix them. I think 2 unfixed females will be unhappy together due to unsatisfied "basic instinct"
I suggest that she either takes 2 boys and fix them, or a boy and a girl and fix them.

What would you say?

That's a tough one because getting two babies always comes with the risk that they won't remain bonded once hormones activate. Is she prepared to house two rabbits separately if that occurs?

It wouldn't matter what gender she gets. Two sisters aren't guaranteed to get along. Getting females spayed can be sooo expensive. (over $250 each in my area) Again, is she prepared for that?

I know new rabbit owners are always drawn to starting with babies thinking it will make them bond with them better. But this just isn't true.

I would try to encourage her to get an already bonded pair that is already fixed from a rabbit rescue. That way she wouldn't have to worry about hormones, fights, neuter/spay costs, re-bonding, litter training, etc.

If she absolutely won't consider the rabbit rescue, then I'd suggest getting just one baby, then after it is fixed, looking for another already fixed rabbit with which to bond.

(Here's a page from my website on choosing a first bunny:
http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/choosing-your-first-bunny.html

Last edited:
I really like the HowCast Videos on youtube for great rabbit info.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXo7BkufNZA[/ame]

Also...tell your friend to adopt a bonded pair. It's going to save her a fortune on spaying and neutering, which costs about $250 for each rabbit. A neutered pair can be had a rescue for $60 each!

If you don't spay/neuter your rabbit, they're going to end up having stinky pee and them behaving in ways you don't want them to (aggression to humans and the other bun and lots of humping)

Well, I myself have 3 rabbits, used to be 4, who are 2 parents and 2 their children (we lost the father some time ago) - 2 boys, 2 girls (now 1 boy, 2 girls). They have always been all together.
Females are not spayed. Never ever I had to deal with aggression towards humans or towards each other. When my females hormonal, they go dig the ground (often together), hide in tight places, or just sitting with unhappy expression. So I think it's not always the case when they have to be aggressive or nasty when not spayed.

But I will send her all the info, thanks!

Latest posts

Back