Low Cost Spay-Neuter program from NJ House Rabbit Society

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdubbz117

Reaction score
Is there anyone from New Jersey able to chime in on the NJ House Rabbit Society low-cost spay/neuter program. I'm about to pay for the certificate for getting Luke neutered.

He's one of the two buns I took in back in August. I wanted to ensure both he and Harriett (the 8yr old lil lady) settled in, and I could get better acquainted with them. Harriett had blood work done in early September due to my concerns about the loose stool she was leaving in her pen. The results showed a touch of anemia, which I'll be following up on soon. She also may have some inflammation in the intestinal area-- so her spaying will have to wait and be thought over heavily before I act on it.

In any case... Since Luke's a strong, rowdy, lively young man, I'm okay with taking him to the facility that participates (and is also the nearest out of all of the participating facilities).

But I can't really find a whole lot on the program as far as reviews and feedback and such.

So has anyone from NJ on here ever utilized it and can give me further insight into it? I've gone to this facility before with my first two buns when Oakhurst's only exotics vet left to teach exotics veterinary down south. I do like it there, but should I have any concerns I going into using this?

Or is there anyone on here that has utilized this kind of program for their buns that could give me that little extra insight?

I know nothing about that specific Spay/Neuter program. But I can give you some insight as to 'low cost' veterinarians. Often, they are veterinarians donating their time, or working for very cheaply- meaning they are the same veterinarians that do spays and neuters at 'regular' cost. However, in order to afford a low cost type of system, certain niceties are abandoned. One example being that your rabbit will probably not receive IV fluids whilst under anesthesia at a low-cost clinic. IV fluids are not necessary for a successful surgery, but they help minimize some risks. For a neuter on a young, healthy male I would say a low cost clinic can be a WONDERFUL idea. For your older female (once she's healthy), even without anemia, I'd potentially discuss finding a veterinarian to do a 'full cost' spay- just since she's at a higher risk in general.

Does that make any sense? :p

Hey I am from NJ and I am about to get my rabbit spayed using this program too. I just submitted my information to get approved for the student discount.

Latest posts

Back