Litter box findings....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissyAndMoonlight

Reaction score
I have a two level cage, with my rabbit's litter box on the top level with their food. I have recently found what appears to be blood in the litter box, which has me worried for obvious reasons.
Moon is the only one that consistently uses the litter box, and Mistletoe goes on a ledge right beside it (lil' bugger). My question about this was- is there anything I should be feeding them differently, or is a vet checkup due?

Second off, I found a very small worm along the side of the ledge where Mistletoe likes to do her business. Now, I was away for a few days and no one else bothered to clean their cage. My question about THIS was, could that worm be there due to the fact that the cage wasn't cleaned for a period of time, or is it more likely to have actually come out of her?

Near positive it wasn't a fight, but I'll make sure to double check. Even if it was, I would assume it to be pretty vet- worthy if one of them is peeing blood

What does it look like? Rabbits are known to have red and sometimes dark red-purple urine as a result of certain foods which stain the urine. In these instances, all the urine will be uniform in colour. Blood in urine presents as spotting, the urine will be normal colour with spots of blood in it.

If it's blood in the urine, a vet visited is definitely necessary as it could be a urinary tract infection which requires antibiotics.

It is in fact a dark red/purple/yellowish color. However, I didn't change their food, which is what concerned me.

What sort of veggies do you give? Cilantro, for example, can make their urine VERY dark red (which is, of course, when my rabbits happen to miss the litterbox).

They always have clean water. They eat pellet food, timothy hay and grass, and a variety of fruits and veggies.

After you cleaned the cage and litterbox has there been more blood? Recently my rabbit urinated what looked like blood. I cleaned everything, and she hasn't done it since. She has no change in her diet either, and she was acting perfectly normal.

As long as your rabbits are acting normal, eating and going to the bathroom normal and there is no more blood I wouldn't be worried.

Alright. They're eating and drinking as normal, but their pee is consistency redish- purple. All else is well. 😊

It may be the Rabbits uren. I had a similar situation when I found yellowish/reddish puddle in his cage. I was quite concerned, and did some research that night. Found out that it can't be Rabbits vomit. So I assumed it was its uren, I also talked to some professionals about it. Is the substance thick?

Latest posts

Back