Leash Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am starting to introduce Truffles to a leash and harness. I thought I would share as we go along. I've done this with a couple of past rabbits and I think it is a great way to strengthen our bond.
So far I have gotten her use to wearing something on her neck by putting a bandana on her (it's a special one for pets). She seemed completely unfazed by that so today I tried the harness on her. I made sure to do it slowly, step by step, with plenty of loving in between.
That went well so next I plan to put it on her and let her move around with it on.
Below is a picture of the harness I am using. I have a string version too but I prefer this.

View attachment 1476578125458.jpg

That's great! My rabbits are both harness trained, and love to go on hikes with me. We go one all kind or crazy adventures 😊

That's great! My rabbits are both harness trained, and love to go on hikes with me. We go one all kind or crazy adventures 😊

That is awesome! I love seeing people's reactions to walking a rabbit haha.
Truffles is pretty small so I don't think I would feel comfortable going on hikes with her, but we will definitely venture outside at some point.

When deciding on a harness, ensure the straps round the front legs and chest is usually tightened enough to from where the animal doesn't get her foot caught inside harness, which can lead to her slipping outside the leash. So it'd better purchase one at reputable online pet shop. For the European rabbit my brother found, a harness intended for a small poodle was almost sufficient, but we had to watch the rabbit to make sure he didn't slip the leash.

Get the rabbit used to being in the harness by taking her outside in the yard, but only a short distance and for a short amount of time. She may behave differently than indoors. You could possibly notice she'll be a little more aware and alert of her surroundings or sit perfectly still for durations. Unlike your dog, the rabbit will possibly not seem as adventurous in the early stages.

Latest posts

Back