Whiskey's ER visit last night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavenousDragon

Reaction score
My little bun Whiskey got to visit the ER last night for a very acute, random bout of ileus. He's definitely on the mend, but any prayers or happy thoughts for a continuing recovery would be awesome!

1001160737.jpg

He says "Thank you!" He is already feeling better and is eating on his own for the most part (much to the relief of my boyfriend and myself). This morning, he even tried to steal food from Brandy!

I'm happy for you! As long as there is no severe underlaying condition, rabbits often recover from ileus if the problem is detected and treated quickly. Now, it would be better to understand why the problem occured to avoid a repeat. It might stem from a bit of stress (Aki had a brief episode last december after a tree was cut just in front of the rabbits' room, she was moulting at the time and well stress + lots of hair was enough to provoke stasis), a hay your rabbit doesn't like much, something he ate (like fibers from a carpet...), but it might also come from a health problem.

We are still trying to figure it out. It is definitely possible he ingested something, but we haven't seen him/ found anything missing recently. Nothing diet wise has changed, and he LOVES hay of all kinds. We were thinking that leaving the window open overnight (which we did all summer too) let it get too cold in the room and he didn't like it. That's the only thing we can think of that could have caused the stress.

We did run a CBC and chemistry panel, which all came back normal. We checked his teeth, etc. He has no underlying health problems we could find. We did a very thorough check since this is his first bout of ileus ever.

Hopefully it was a one time thing and he won't have it again!

Latest posts

Back