Should I take my rabbit in to the vet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
Gizmo is a 2 year old female (spayed) Holland Lop.

Normally every morning when we wake up, I open Gizmo's cage door, and she's pretty active, she'll come out of her cage, run around, binky a bit, sometimes it's her most active time of the day.

This morning when I opened her cage, she didn't even come out. She just stayed in there laying on her mat, which is unusual. She was lying with her feet kicked out in more of a casual comfortable position, but it's weird behavior for her first thing in the morning. Then, I tried to offer her a craisin, her favorite treat, she sniffed it but never took it from me. After offering the treat to her a couple of times, she decided she had enough and hopped off into the box we've built as her hiding shelter, where she usually goes to be alone.

Is this type of odd behavior, and not taking treats, enough to where I should bring her in to the vet for an exam?

Thanks.

Don't offer something sugary like craisin if you're in doubt about her stomach's state (sugar isn't ideal when it comes to GI matters). I don't know when you posted that (time difference) but I would empty the litterbox and offer vegetables, pellets and hay. If she hasn't eaten or pooped one hour after you first noticed the problem you need a vet as soon as possible as there is probably a slowing of the guts / a full stasis. You will need an x-ray to make sure. Then, if the stomach is full with no blockage, you'll need Metacam (meloxicam) for pain relief and Reglan to help the stomach move. I know in the US, gas medecine is often used too (it's not given in France, to my knowledge, I just massage the rabbit's tummy every 4 hours to help any gas to pass when one of mine has an upset stomach). Syringe feeding water regularly (with a small syringe to avoid drowning her) can help too.
I hope it's nothing !

Don't offer something sugary like craisin if you're in doubt about her stomach's state (sugar isn't ideal when it comes to GI matters). I don't know when you posted that (time difference) but I would empty the litterbox and offer vegetables, pellets and hay. If she hasn't eaten or pooped one hour after you first noticed the problem you need a vet as soon as possible as there is probably a slowing of the guts / a full stasis. You will need an x-ray to make sure. Then, if the stomach is full with no blockage, you'll need Metacam (meloxicam) for pain relief and Reglan to help the stomach move. I know in the US, gas medecine is often used too (it's not given in France, to my knowledge, I just massage the rabbit's tummy every 4 hours to help any gas to pass when one of mine has an upset stomach). Syringe feeding water regularly (with a small syringe to avoid drowning her) can help too.
I hope it's nothing !

Thanks so much, I just posted about an hour or so ago, so not much time has gone by. I cleaned our her litterbox and gave fresh hay, and will offer some veggies and pellets too. I did make an appointment for her later today just to get it checked out. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Latest posts

Back