Making new friend

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TokiBeatrix

Reaction score
Hi All!!

One of our rabbits passed away a couple of months ago (Toki). Now about about 1 month ago we addopted a new rabbit (Pippin - Male 6 months old) as a companion to Hiccup (Female 2 years old). Pippin was newly neutered so we kept them at first in seperate rooms to allow Pippin's hormones to calm down.

We had them meet after about 4-5 days in the kitchen (neutral area). It seemed to go well. We did this a few times and they seemed to be very good together. We then moved Pippin's cage beside Hiccups.

When we bring them in the kitchen, they end up cuddling and licking each other. But when I let them loose together in our main living area, the living room, Hiccup nips Pippin and gets angry.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed? Right now we are alternating letting one out at a time and when Pippin is out he goes up to Hiccup's cage and she grunts and paws at him through the bars. She will also poop and pee all around his cage when she's out. HELP!

Seb & Su

The living room belongs to hiccup. It's not a neutral territory. Bonding needs to be done in a neutral area like the kitchen, and if this is happening it sounds like you need to do something to the living room and make it neutral. Shes got an invader in her space!
Has Hiccup been spayed?

Yes she has, over 1 year ago. I thought that once they bonded in the kitchen they would be fine I. The living room but her attitude changes completely. Do you have any suggestions for making a living room neutral ?

You may need to re-arrange some things, vacuum, give stuff a vinegar spray down. It cant look or smell like her area. They definitely aren't bonded if shes pulling that kind behaviour either. I would stick with the neutral area play sessions and refrain from letting her use the living room. Try and neutralize it as best you can.

Perhaps somebody else can offer some input? I've never personally had to deal with neutralizing an area for rabbits :)

Latest posts

Back