How long after spay/neuter for speed dating?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
We are looking to adopt a second bun, the shelter we're speaking with just got in about 10 new bunnies that will be getting spayed and neutered over the next couple of weeks.

After surgery for these rabbits, how long should we wait before we bring Gizmo there to introduce her to them and do a speed dating session? Is 2-3 weeks enough? Our current rabbit is spayed, so I don't worry about the males still being fertile (I have read they can be for a bit after surgery) I'm wondering more on a hormonal level how long we should wait to set up the bunny dates to see which would be a good fit for Gizmo to bring home and try to bond with.

Thanks!

Those rotten male hormones can still be buzzing around for a good 4-6+ weeks after a neuter. Every rabbit is different. Nobody can give you an exact answer.

How can it affect bonding if we're in that gray area after surgery where we aren't sure if hormones have settled down or not?

We'll be driving a full day to do this bunny date based on our location so trying to plan ahead.

Because of the shelter's spaying/neutering schedule, our availability to make the day trip, and what rabbits they have available, we can meet rabbits that will be at different times after surgery. Some rabbits 6+ weeks after their surgery (I know we can meet with them for sure), some will be 4 weeks after, and some 2 weeks after.

Is it okay to meet the rabbits that are only 2 weeks from surgery when we go to meet them with Gizmo?

We do plan on pre-bonding when we get home, for about 2 weeks, where rabbits are kept in their own cages, in close proximity to each other, not sure if that make a difference, to allow extra healing/hormonal settle-down time.

Thanks!

Dont know. Nobody can answer that because all rabbits are different.

This is why a lot of people suggest waiting a full 6 weeks after everyones been fixed before even attempting to introduce them to each other.

Sometimes having a 'hormonal' rabbit near another is enough to upset them and cause issues. Seen that in my own house when I borrowed a friends rabbit and kept him totally out of sight but in the same room 20ft away.

Just wondering if you took the plunge and got a second rabbit. Keep us posted! I know you were a bit nervous for several reasons.

We do plan on pre-bonding when we get home, for about 2 weeks, where rabbits are kept in their own cages, in close proximity to each other, not sure if that make a difference, to allow extra healing/hormonal settle-down time.

Worked for me! It was interesting to watch them in separate cages, try to get as close to each other as possible. Adorbs

Latest posts

Back