Shipping rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
I know that getting a rabbit from a shelter is best. Without going into a lot of detail that is very unlikely to happy right now for me. What is everyone's opinion on getting a rabbit shipped to you? I don't know anything about this process, what the conditions are, what's better air vs ground. Any insight would be helpful thanks. (Let me preface that finding a local rabbit is very unlikely for me).

I've had some experience with shipping and receiving shipments of live animals. Of course it's more stressful for the rabbit than if you get it locally - depending on distance. I'd say that a 4 hour car ride or a 2 hour transit ride are also pretty stressful for the rabbit.

Shipping speed should be as fast as possible, preferably overnight or even same day. This is not cheap. The shipper should ship the rabbit on a Monday or Tuesday. That way if there's a delay, the rabbit won't be sitting in a warehouse over a weekend. Shipping should never be done if the weather is too hot or too cold. Airplane cargo holds and courier trucks and warehouses are usually not climate controlled. In cool (not freezing cold) weather the shipper should include a heat pack when possible.

Before committing to ordering a shipped rabbit, ask the shipper to calculate the fee so you don't get a nasty shock when the package arrives at your door. The major couriers like UPS or USPS all have cost estimate calculators on their websites.

For air cargo shipments, you will need to go to the cargo terminal at the airport to pick up your rabbit. The sender should provide you with the airline, flight number and arrival time beforehand. On the arrival date, contact the airline to make sure the flight is on time and not canceled or delayed.

Latest posts

Back