Overweight Female Mini Rex Peeing Outside of Box/Cleaning Scent Glands?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebugger

Reaction score
I'm a bit worried with her being overweight because she has not been able to really clean out her scent glands, and we usually do that for her. The rabbit belongs to my adult daughter who was away at school for the last two years and I have cared for the rabbit until she came back home for the next year of school. Since she has taken over care, she has neglected to clean the scent glands as often as I did. When I checked her today after finding pee in the corner of her cage, she is pretty squished together in her private area, and I'm wondering if it's because the goop in the glands has everything stuck all together? Is there anything I can use to help get the skin apart without hurting her? Organic coconut oil? Would it be better to take her to the vet and have them clean it out and double check her for any bladder issues? She has only peed once outside of her box and it was because my daughter went too long before changing her litter box because as soon as we changed it, we didn't have that problem again. That could likely be the problem, but I am concerned about all her lady parts looking so squished together and her needing to have her scent glands cleaned. (Our other bunny has had a similar problem, but he was peeing outside his box over and over, and that is when we ended up taking him to the vet and found out he had a mild infection and sludge in his bladder.)

You could try warm water on a bunch of Q tips. But potentially, you should also address the obesity. What is her diet like? It should be mostly hay, a handful of fresh veggies, and if you choose a few pellets. I really personally only use the pellets as treats.

Urinating outside of the box, like in cats, often indicates pain. (E.g. every time I go potty in the box it hurts, so I'm not going to potty there any more). I would say a veterinary check up is important in this case, especially if she has never done this before.

Latest posts

Back