Tips for winter food mix

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buns16rouge

Reaction score
Hey guys I just wanted to know if anybody has a good food list they put together for rabbits during the winter? I came across ones like add barely, oats, and black sunflower seeds. Anything else I can add?(dry foods)

Yah every winter all three are outside with their custom hutch, what else could I add to their diet other then hay and the stuff I listed to help them through winter?

Is this your first winter with them? I can't think of other dry foods. Unlimited hay, and the dry foods you already listed sound good. And whenever you go to the store you can grab veggies for them.

Some of our breeders who have experience housing multiple rabbits outside may have the best answers here.
You don't want too much of the bad fats.
Whats their setup like. Lots of room away from wind and draft? Hutch well insulated?

Rabbits outside will eat more in the winter. Most important is to keep them out of the wind, but they tolerate low temps pretty well. Old fashioned rolled oats and BOSS are what we add to the feed, but we don't add much and not every day. You don't want them to gain weight, but it also helps with coat condition.

No it's not their first winter it's their 3rd we have a heated water dish, heated dog mat, insulated house but always trying to find other things for food to help them. Are their certain types of oats that they can only eat? (Obviously no sugar)

...... Old fashioned rolled oats and......

.....Are their certain types of oats that they can only eat? (Obviously no sugar)

Majorv answered before you asked ;) Just Old Fashioned rolled oats. No quick oats or sugared or anything fancy. Just plain old rolled oats.

No it's not their first winter it's their 3rd we have a heated water dish, heated dog mat, insulated house but first year with the extra bunny. I'm thinking I'm going to go through a lot of food for all 3. (Rex),(Flemish dutch cross), (Newzeland)
Are their certain types of oats that they can only eat? (Obviously no sugar) And what about barley the only one I have available at bulk barn is pearled.

Latest posts

Back